LCD shuts off for no reason

vexter

Just shuts off. CC2 seems to funtioning, I can stop and start it, but no dice.

Ive tried restarting the device in manager.

I upgraded the drivers to the 54s, stays on longer now

It seems that this shut off happens when screensaver is kicked on, but not solely. Happens when I load a game that changes the display mode, but not every time.

CC1 worked without issues.

Any ideas?

Thx
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
What do you mean by "Just shuts off"?
The LCD backlight turns off?
The display goes blank?
The LCD stops getting updated?
Etc...

vexter

The display is completely off. Like I hadnt started CC2 at all, yet it appears to be running. The display is detected in device manager and appear to be seen by CC2. Ive tried all the .dll files listed here in the forums, as well as the updated drivers.

The service is also running.. I dont get any visible errors.

Is their a particular log file that I should look at for errors?

sum1quiet

this happens to me too sometimes. you are just sitting there going about your pc busines and it just turns off. everything in XP think its there and on / connected but the display is completely off as if you had unplugged it / were in DOS. Mine is connected via the Y03 USB external cable.

CF Mark

Administrator
Do you have any sort of Windows power saving enabled?
This is the only time CC2 will keep running but disable the display. Although when this happens, the taskbar icon will turn red.

sum1quiet

Nope, my pc is never on standby. CC2 icon is blue, restarting it does nothing. I have to unplug and re-plug it in to work it.

sum1quiet

:(, mines just done it again. It is totally random intervals. Yesturday it was on 24 hours, no problem. Now it was on for about 10-30 mins and it turned off. Im confused :s

vexter

No power saving here either. I even went as far as to turn off my screen saver.

Icon stays blue here as well.

Let compare system specs, see what we have in common:

Shuttle SNG45v2
2400xp mobile
1 gig Geil pc3200
9800 Pro
80 gig wd 8m
Liteon DVD rw
XP Pro SP2

System is overclocked slightly, running 195x9.5 with a vcore of 1.35. Temps are good, Idle around 40c, 49 in game. Case temp never reachs 40c.

reider

vexter said:
No power saving here either. I even went as far as to turn off my screen saver.

Icon stays blue here as well.

Let compare system specs, see what we have in common:

Shuttle SNG45v2
2400xp mobile
1 gig Geil pc3200
9800 Pro
80 gig wd 8m
Liteon DVD rw
XP Pro SP2

System is overclocked slightly, running 195x9.5 with a vcore of 1.35. Temps are good, Idle around 40c, 49 in game. Case temp never reachs 40c.
I have a shuttle SN45G v2
2500 Barton (OC`d to 3200)
corsair (3200) 512 MB memory
9800 SE softmodded to a Pro
Yamaha CD Writer with disk t@too (internal)
External DVD writer on USB
XP Pro and SP2 (autostreamed to OS CD)
CFA 631 and 634 connected on USB
HP printer to USB
Logitech web cam connected to USB too
RF mouse and keyboard
Temps about the same as yours.....

None of the associated problems above, latest CC2 and drivers loaded. Sounds more like a hardware/OS fault to me than CC2 as you`re also using the same mobo and revision to me-the FN45 v2. You could try it in Wintest for a while, see if it cuts out in there. If not, and it returns to cutting out in Windows then that will be the outside influence on it.

Just my thoughts, reading back through your message you mention this happens when you change as follows.....

It seems that this shut off happens when screensaver is kicked on, but not solely. Happens when I load a game that changes the display mode, but not every time.
This sounds more like a video card/driver problem.

Steve

Last edited:

sum1quiet

Spec:

Shuttle SN45G
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
1Gb Kingston HyperX PC3200
nVidia GeForce FX 5900XT
CD-RW/DVD-ROM
XP SP1

631 connected to USB

CPU: 37 (44 100%) | SYS: 32 | HDD: 35

Doubt it could be a video card problem because the video card doesnt actually have anything to do with the LCD and me and vexter both have different cards completely.

As I have mentioned, it does happen sometimes while I am in CS:Source but not as the display changes, just when im there generally playing it will turn itself off. Ill go into it now to see if it goes off while im changing resolution.

reider

These shuttles do well to work as they do with 200watt PSU`s, though some have the SilentX (250Watt) now. The video card has had a problem in the past of drawing too much power from the supply, causing problems. Driver updates or lack of have caused lock ups of varying descriptions in the past.

At the time, your specs hadn`t been posted. Whereas, Vexter had posted his and the quote was from his message. It still points to a fault in the direction of the Fn45 mobo/associated hardware and OS as I see it. Maybe Forceware drivers would make a difference, I have them loaded and no problems here. Playing Doom3, Halo, RCT3, Halflife2 and viewing my temps on both modules at the same time. I have the same mobo and not disimilar specs so I wonder what/where the difference is.

Now I wonder, are you both running the module via an external USB cable or internal. If external, is it via a USB hub (powered or non powered)? If the front USB ports are being used then try them in the rear ports, because these front ones do have a problem sometimes on the FN45G. Just trying to narrow down the options at the moment to shed some light on the problem.

Steve

Last edited:

sum1quiet

I have a SilentX PSU. Even though it is stated 250w, shuttle PSUs are much more robust than a normal PSU. You could happily run 2 hdds, dvd drive, 6800 gt and some fans on one.

EDIT: Im using the rear USB motherboard USB plug to power my 631. I have gone in and out of CS, minimised it to windows (changing resolutions) and gone back into CS and it was fine.

vexter

I didnt have any issues with CC1. Ive had the display for 6 or 7 months.

I also have the silent x supply.

Im using the internal USB plug.

Im using the latest whql version of forceware, and ATI drivers..

I assume nothing, and rule nothing out, but it is interesting that we both have shuttle sng45s.

I just did a fresh OS install from and XP1 disk with SP2 SS. I havent gotten around to reinstalled CC yet, as Im moving this weekend... Ill get back with you on Sun, and let ya know whats going on...

Last edited:

reider

vexter said:
I didnt have any issues with CC1. Ive had the display for 6 or 7 months.

I also have the silent x supply.

Im using the internal USB plug.

Im using the latest whql version of forceware, and ATI drivers..

I assume nothing, and rule nothing out, but it is interesting that we both have shuttle sng45s.

I just did a fresh OS install from and XP1 disk with SP2 SS. I havent gotten around to reinstalled CC yet, as Im moving this weekend... Ill get back with you on Sun, and let ya know whats going on...
As a comparison, mine is the internal USB connection for the 631 and the external for the 634. I added SP2 by autostreaming with an XP Pro disk. An autostreamed version seems to be the best set up according to opinion as it gives less problems than installing the OS and adding SP2 manually-source of information, Sudhian and the net at large.

Autostream

Steve

Batdive

Well glad someone else is having this problem.. I have the same problem with my 631.. All was well with CC1, jumped to CC2 and random times it will just shut down. I do not have any energy saver items set up. So any information to try and fix this would be appreciated... Or i might just go back to CC1,although that would suck to lose the newer capabilities of CC2

Specs:

Gigabyte K8N Pro
Windows XP SP2
AMD 64 3200
Muskun 222 512mb DDR 400
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
631 Internal USB Connection

forgot to add it is currently off right now and the CC2 icon is blue saying its Running updates.. but display is off..(IE no backlight no nothing/ just like when u dont run CC at all)

Only way to get it up and running again is to restart computer then it will run for varing amount of time again before turning off

Last edited:

CF Mark

Administrator
Batdive said:

forgot to add it is currently off right now and the CC2 icon is blue saying its Running updates..
If you hover your mouse above the blue icon itll say how many LCD updates there has been.

Can you check this again a few seconds later and see if the number of updates has changed?

Ferrari355

My LCD shut off yesterday as well.. the display just goes Blank with the LCD light still on.. the only way to fix it was to Config the 634USB and act like I was going to change it to another Com port, then switch back to the com port the Display is on, then press Apply, and restart CC2 & it was working again.

sum1quiet

CrystalControl Admin said:
If you hover your mouse above the blue icon itll say how many LCD updates there has been.

Can you check this again a few seconds later and see if the number of updates has changed?
Yes, im pretty sure the update number goes up even though nothing is displaying.

EDIT: Just checked, it is updating even though its completely off.

Last edited:

jc634

Administrator
sum1quiet said:
Yes, im pretty sure the update number goes up even though nothing is displaying.

EDIT: Just checked, it is updating even though its completely off.
If you haven't done so yet, you might want to update to the latest USB drivers. I had some issues with my 631 (never my 634) not starting on boot occasionaly. The latest USB drivers along with the RC's of CC2 seemed to solve the issue.

Jim