lcd info-education

haroldj

Hi, I am an electronics enthusiast, not very advanced, but enjoy it. I part out large copy machines on a regular basis and as a result have a selection of lcd and touch panels. I want to start doing something with these panels. Where do I start to look for educational things to learn about how they work, and idea's on what to do with them. Any suggestions are appreciated. Also, I have more of these than I can use. I sell many parts from the copiers (stepper motors, fans, electronics, lasers, etc.). If anybody is interested in buying used lcd touch panels, please let me know the appropriate forum to post them in. I could also supply the origional electronics that was used to drive these displays (Plus many other goodies such as microcontrollers, etc. that are on the board with the lcd circuitry.) I am hoping to find mentors here to help guide me in the right direction. Thank You.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
The key to using an LCD module is knowing what controller is on it and--hopefully--what the pin-out is. So likely candidates for re-use would have chips with readable numbers on the back.

haroldj

Many of these I have schematics, or at least block diagrams for showing pin outs, but don't understand the basics of how to control them. Any books or tutorials that you could reccommend?

CF Tech

Administrator
It all hinges on knowing the LCD controller number. Is there a number readable on the back of the chips? Or a number in the schematic?

haroldj

Many of these I have schematics, or at least block diagrams for showing pin outs, but don't understand the basics of how to control them. Any books or tutorials that you could reccommend?

haroldj

I am a truck driver on the road right now, will check tomorrow when I get home. Thanks for the links, I will study up.
:)

haroldj

OK, back home now. This is the display I want to try to make work. (I attached 3 pics) The quarter is for size reference. The blue glass measures approx 3-1/2inches high X 9 inches wide. The other 2 pics are of the back of the Module. There is a tag on the back that identifies it as an EPSON ECM-A0734 9731BA6. The 2 chips on the back are 74AJX4J and A7001B. There are 2 connectors. A 4 pin connector with only 2 pins that I assume is for the backlight, and a 14 pin connector. There are no other chips on this display, but the board that was the motherboard on the machine has a MSM6255 dot matrix lcd controller on it. Does this mean that I am SOL with this display? or are there controllers I can't see in it?

Attachments

I suspect there is much more circuitry that you cannot see, likely underneath the glass portion. What are the rows of pins on the bottom edge? They look like the edges of surface mount chips. Where does the flat flex cable go to?

haroldj

Thanks for the info. I will set these on the back shelf for when I understand a lot more. I have others that I will try to be more informed on in the first post.

lepirlouit

I have exactly the same LCD screen.

it comes from a color printer.

I think the information who need is from des chips whtih are around the lcd screen, but there are to thin.