LCD Color choices, available or not.

hardwarephreak

Any chance of getting a red neg version of the 634? (4x20 serial LCD)

Special order maybe, didn't see one on the product page other than a 2x20 USB with controls.

Thanks
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

putwig

I asked the same question a year ago. The answer was no.

I don't know why such a popular color is not offered in a 20x4 by CF or MO. Doesn't make sense to me.

There is a nice one in the "Character LCD" section. Model CFAH2004A RMC JP. You would have to wire it yourself for use with a parallel port.

Also, as far as I can tell that LCD won't fit any of the bay inserts that they sell here.

hardwarephreak

Well, they are out there, I hope I don't get banned for posting a link to a competitor ;)

http://www.seetron.com/bpp420_2.htm

It's not quite the same. Red backlight with White/Off Red(not sure) lettering. You can see in the link. I prefer the black background/red lettering, but I am stuck, it has to be red. I have bought several LCDs over the years, and I have not bought from anyone but crystalfontz, just becuase I have always had a great experience with them, and the support has always been good as well.

But I need a red color 4x20 LCD. I was kind of hoping this was something that was a soon to be released product. I mean, I do need it quickly, but I guess I could have waited a week or two. Just wishful thinking.

Damn you crystalfontz, I want to give you my money...help me:D

CF Tech

Administrator
Originally posted by hardwarephreak
. . . Damn you crystalfontz, I want to give you my money...help me:D
LOL Well, we would love to take it. Unfortunately there are only two ways to go. Painstakingly replace 70 green LEDs:

with red ones like in this mod:

I did it once with blue ones, but I assure you, once was enough!

or you can make a large order and pay tooling, then we will make a custom red backlight just for you.

What we have found on the red backlight is that there is an intense desire from a few people, but there is not enough demand to justify the tooling and inventory required to mass-produce them.

The performance of the LCD material at the red wavelength is not exactly stellar either. It is OK, just not near as good as the yellow.

I know of one person who might be able to custom make a red one for you, but you would probably need to be prepared to cough up maybe double or triple for the LCD module portion. I will have them e-mail you.

hardwarephreak

Well my soldering skills are OK, but good gawd..70. I would be hesitant with 70 normal sized LEDs, but 70 of the small ones(forgot name) Argggggh. Maybe I could do it over the course of a week, just do a couple a day:D

Just how difficult is it to get to that level on the LCD. Can everything be remounted, or will I have to rebuy some pieces. Polarized film replacement as well?

I have a couple Crystal Fontz LCDs I guess I could guinea pig one, I guess its a matter of finding the correct LEDs online then.

What is the backlight/film setup for one with black background, but with red lettering...

putwig

CF Tech said:
The performance of the LCD material at the red wavelength is not exactly stellar either. It is OK, just not near as good as the yellow.
Thanks for the informative response.

Does the problem you describe with LCD performance and red spectrum lighting extend to existing models like the red 633? Or the character LCD model I linked above for that matter?

Thanks!

PS Sorry for the thread jack HWP! At least I am still on the same topic!

CF Tech

Administrator
Well, we have tweaked in the red CFA-633 and red CFA-631 as well as we can. They look nice.

For a PC display they are just fine--and quite cool looking. But I would not want them displaying critical information in a fighter jet cockpit ;)

For the backlight modding, just cleaning off the old LEDs and removing the encapsulant is a pain. Basically if that person e-mails you, I'll supply them with a couple of "junk" backlights to work with, and I know they have some polarizer, so they can tweak in the angles for the red light. They also have the right tools, know where to get the LEDs, know how to calculate the dropping resistor . . . .

hardwarephreak

so they can tweak in the angles for the red light. They also have the right tools, know where to get the LEDs, know how to calculate the dropping resistor . . . .
Um....yeah....exactly what I was thinking :p

you know that saying...

There's what you know, there's what you know you don't know, and then the stuff you don't have a friggin clue about.

O.K. so I took a bit of liberty with that last part, but it paraphrases it nicely...

i would really appreciate all of that, I could ship him one of my LCDs if that would help. I am only looking for one right now, so I am guessing it might be quite expensive.

Well, we have tweaked in the red CFA-633 and red CFA-631 as well as we can. They look nice.
Just thought I would say that that is an understatement....those things look SWEET!

hardwarephreak

I guess I could have edited the last post....

Would I need to do all of the above for something with a black background, red lettering...

Or is that the tweaking you were talking about, still red background, but adjusted to bring out the text?

You know I just noticed that the color scheme of the above LCD perfectly matches the crystalfontz logo, just happened to be looking at the reply buttons at the bottom of the page...you know you guys could use that as an excuse to do a __th anniversary limited edition crystalfontz LCD :D