Initialization Process of Graphics Display

skolacz

Hello, I'm using a CFAG160128 Graphics display with a Toshiba T6963C controller. I've been at this for awhile and have referenced many sources of information regarding initialization, such as setting the Graphics Area and Address, as well as the Mode and Display Mode. Right now I'm fairly certain everything is correctly hooked up between my screen and Motorola HCS12 Microcontroller. I have uploaded an image of how it looks when it is powered up. Theres random pixels lit up everywhere, however, when I try to re-initialize it or write to it, nothing changes. Any suggestions on where to go from here? Thanks.

0319091243.jpg
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

I'm not familiar with this display or controller. Does the random pixel display occur right after power is applied, or does it happen only after you send some initialization commands?

I am trying to get an idea if this could be a hardware/wiring problem, such that your control signals are not correct, or whether it is strictly a software issue.

skolacz

I'm not familiar with this display or controller. Does the random pixel display occur right after power is applied, or does it happen only after you send some initialization commands?

I am trying to get an idea if this could be a hardware/wiring problem, such that your control signals are not correct, or whether it is strictly a software issue.
It occurs upon power up and also after some initialization commands. What I do in my code so far is initially reset the screen then execute a number of initialization commands, upon setting the display mode (text off, graphic on) the screen illuminates with the random illuminated pixels. I assume after I do this I should do an auto write to the screen and clear the memory?

skolacz

Thanks for the help so far. Since yesterday I've been able to write some stuff to the screen and also clear it. Right now I'm at the point of trying to plan on how I'm going to lay out the screen to be as efficient as possible for what I am looking to do.

Would you be able to better explain to me how the Internal CG ROM and External CG RAM works? Also, is it possible to have multiple text and graphics area on one screen?

For example:
|-------------- Width of Screen --------------|
0x00 -------- Graphics Area ----------- 0x13
0x14 ---------- Text Area -------------- 0x27
0x28 -------- Graphics Area ----------- 0x3B
0x3C ---------- Text Area -------------- 0x4F