I'm interested in buying an lcd display, some questions though...

Martane

Hey everyone. I have recently built a new shuttle SB75G2 and am extremely pleased with it. I decided to opt out of installing a floppy disk drive seeing as they're rarely used nowadays. Anyways, my friend suggested that I fill the void with an lcd display. I'm interested in the Crystalfontz CFA-631 display but I have a few questions I hope somebody can answer.
  • What exactly can I put on the display?
  • Is the display customizable? (i.e. if I wanted to, could I make it say "Martane's PC" or something like that?)
  • Can I make the lcd display system information such as CPU temp/fan speed?
I realise these are probably noobish questions but please help me.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

reider

Martane said:
Hey everyone. I have recently built a new shuttle SB75G2 and am extremely pleased with it. I decided to opt out of installing a floppy disk drive seeing as they're rarely used nowadays. Anyways, my friend suggested that I fill the void with an lcd display. I'm interested in the Crystalfontz CFA-631 display but I have a few questions I hope somebody can answer.
  • What exactly can I put on the display?
  • Is the display customizable? (i.e. if I wanted to, could I make it say "Martane's PC" or something like that?)
  • Can I make the lcd display system information such as CPU temp/fan speed?
I realise these are probably noobish questions but please help me.
As a member of Sudhian (Shuttle Forum), a member of this forum and a CC2 Beta Tester, an owner of an SN45G Shuttle, an owner of a CFA-631 and a CFA-634 I don`t think I`m best placed to reply here. ;)

However, I will anyway. You can put personal text on. Internal temps in textual form. Bargraphs, Histograms for Temps. Moving Gifs, Character outlines, Winamp Track Details, Game Stats, CPU and HD stats, Email Notification, Frame rates in games. You suggest a screen, we will write it.

This is not a definitive list, the items are added to daily, future enhancements far exceed even these present uses. You suggest a screen, we will write it.

Get it ordered Martane, your welcome screen (customised for Martane) will be waiting for you, you will not ever look back!!! This is where we hang out in the Screen Writers Guild.

Screen Writers Guild

Steve

reider

Martane said:
Thanks for the info. How easy is it to use?
Download and install the drivers. Put four screws in, place four wires in (unless plugging into external USB). Switch on. Once its installed (usually a few minutes to do) and on the correct com port, adjust the Brightness/Contrast to suit then restart the module to save.

Download a new screen or use one of the pre supplied ones to a configuration window, restart the module. The screen then starts to operate with instant update to the module display.

Personal text can be put on as permanent text in a screen, give me a call and I`ll design one to suit you. Alternatively, we can supply one which issues a user text box for you to type any message into. No charges for these voluntary services at all.

Other screens work in a similar way, though some do require a moderate form of interaction/amendment to suit your setup. Full instructions are given by the volunteers. Dedicated software screen editors and event editors will follow in due course.

Steve

Last edited: