How to power VBT on OLED?

tinhead

I'm reffering to the CFAP2002A-Y-JCV.

Power via Resistor or Voltage-regulator?

Does the current-draw and intensity vary with the ammount of pixels on?
If so, should VBT be powered by a voltage-regulator (2.0-3.0V, ~30mA or more?), or will 5V via a resistor of 75 to 125Ohm(?) do the trick?

If the intensity varies, could I burn out a single pixel by applying 3v and something like 25mA?

Thanks in advance!
tinhead
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

tinhead

No reply it seems..

I have found some info on my own, the current does change in realtion to the ammount of lit pixels.
ie. a voltageregulator would probably be a good bet to get a nice and even output.

One question does however remain: If a resistor is used, could one burn single pixels as described above?

CF Tech

Administrator
Sorry for the delay in replying.

I need to run some tests myself to understand it better myself. I almost think that there was a regulator on the board . . . but I'm not sure.

I'll have to hook one up or contact the factory engineer to be sure.

tinhead

No worries :)

I have found a display that seems similar to yours here (it's in german but look at page 3). They seem to use a 1kOhm resistor or a 5k+25kvariable from +5v to power Vbt.
Might it be something similar?

If you could clarify this more I'd be really glad! :)

Thanks

Pyrofer

I used the PLED screen to replace an LCD and pretty much just soldered it onto the old LCD connector.

I used a 10k VR between 5v and GND (the same one that I used for contrast on my LCD) to run Vbt.

5v________________________
\
|/____ Vbt
/|
/
0v---------------------------------------

Is this going to burn out my display? I seem to get a good range of control on the brightness of the display and have it turned down quite a way from the brightest it can go.

CF Tech

Administrator
Well, these displays are meant to be "drop-in" LCD replacements, so I am not surprised that they worked fine that way.

As long as you do not wun the brightness too high (there is a brightness vs. lifetime tradeoff) then you should be fine with your circuit.