How to hook up a CFAG320240C-FMI-T

eldrago

Hi.

Sorry forgive me...I'm a newbie at this but I have the following question. How do I hook up a CFAG320240C-FMI-T
graphic display with a pc? Can it be done with a rs-232 or usb?

Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Heffo

It can't be connected directly to RS232 or USB, you would need to connect the LCD to a Microcontroller, and then connect an RS232 driver or USB interface to the Microcontroller. (Preferrably the USB, faster)

I could probably design one myself (Hell, I designed a DOW interface for my 20x2 CF LCD, so I can drive it from my 633 :D) and making it is easy enough, but writing the software to drive the microcontroller is a whole other issue!

Or you possibly could just wire it up to the printer port, but I really wouldnt recommend that!

Last edited:

CF Mark

Administrator
Heffo said:
Or you possibly could just wire it up to the printer port, but I really wouldnt recommend that!
Why not?
Lots of people do.... and it how the majority of graphical LCD apps display to the LCDs.

The only downside is the hefty cable, and using the only printer port.

Heffo

I tend to think wiring anything up directly to the printer port is a nasty hack, also a nice CPU performance drain programatically generating the right bus signals.

Basically my 1st LCD (20x2) I connected serially, via a small microcontroller board, and I also had it controlling fans and my case lighting via the spare i/o pins, infact it was functionally similar to the 633

Nothing better than a coloured light show inside your case while MP3s are playing!

Last edited:

CF Mark

Administrator
Heffo said:
I tend to think wiring anything up directly to the printer port is a nasty hack, also a nice CPU performance drain programatically generating the right bus signals.
Yeh, true.
But setting up a micro to do the work isnt an option for most people, so the printer port is the best way.

eldrago

Heffo said:
It can't be connected directly to RS232 or USB, you would need to connect the LCD to a Microcontroller, and then connect an RS232 driver or USB interface to the Microcontroller. (Preferrably the USB, faster)

I could probably design one myself (Hell, I designed a DOW interface for my 20x2 CF LCD, so I can drive it from my 633 :D) and making it is easy enough, but writing the software to drive the microcontroller is a whole other issue!

Ok thanks! Writing the software is the smallest problem for me since I am a developer, its the hardware bits that confuse things for me :(

Heffo

CrystalControl Admin said:
Yeh, true.
But setting up a micro to do the work isnt an option for most people, so the printer port is the best way.
Funny, I can see a potential future product here, a CrystalFontz generic microcontroller unit for parallel character lcds, and graphics LCDs

CURTISBEEF

IF they would come out with a USB graphical LCD (true USB not a usb serial converter) they would be awsome and it would sell like hotcakes and because it would be USB the displays would be fast as hell

eldrago

CURTISBEEF said:
IF they would come out with a USB graphical LCD (true USB not a usb serial converter) they would be awsome and it would sell like hotcakes and because it would be USB the displays would be fast as hell

Yup I agree, it would be nice to know what CrystalFontz thinks about this.....is it feasible?
:confused: