How do you like your CF633?

{ISV-K}SVX

I am a Matrix Orbital user and have the MX212, but am wanting to go to something with more control. The new MO 212 does about the same as the CF633. Key differences as far as I can see:

CF633:
Aluminum front panel WITH keypad unlike MO!

New MX212:
-Simultaneous RPM and dow PWM monitoring which they said the CF could not do (correct me if I am wrong).
-Boot logo modification on lcd

I really like the CF Aluminum bay insert and new keypad. Real snazzy. MO only offers the aluminum panel without the keypad which really limits me when I get an aluminum case.

Of chief concern to me about the CF displays has been (or at least what I have read in reviews on past models) the difficulty in reading the displays. I am looking at the blue with white lettering and on earlier displays it was very difficult to read, hence I bought the MX212. Does the 633 correct this? If so, I may have found my next bay insert and will Ebay the MX212.

What are the current/voltage specs for fans? IE, I use a Vantec Tornado 80mm and Delta 80mm both of which draw a large amount of current.

Lastly - the 633 can be had in a USB bay flavor correct? It is not real clear on the site.

Please post thoughts.

Thanx.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

CF Mark

Administrator
New MX212:
-Simultaneous RPM and dow PWM monitoring which they said the CF could not do (correct me if I am wrong).
Im not sure quite what they mean by "Simultaneous RPM".
The 633 does read the RPM of all the fans at any power level.

Im also not sure what they mean by "dow PWM monitoring".
Do you know anymore on the function of this?

-Boot logo modification on lcd
The 633 can do this.

Of chief concern to me about the CF displays has been (or at least what I have read in reviews on past models) the difficulty in reading the displays. I am looking at the blue with white lettering and on earlier displays it was very difficult to read, hence I bought the MX212. Does the 633 correct this? If so, I may have found my next bay insert and will Ebay the MX212.
I have a white on blue 633 mounted in my case.
Its as easy to read as any other LCD ive seen.
The glowing blue keypad also looks rather nice :)

What are the current/voltage specs for fans? IE, I use a Vantec Tornado 80mm and Delta 80mm both of which draw a large amount of current.
As from the 633 data sheet:
"Maximum continuous current draw must be no
more than 1.5A per fan connector, no more than 4A total."

Lastly - the 633 can be had in a USB bay flavor correct? It is not real clear on the site.
No... the 633 is only avaliable in Serial.
If you really want USB, a USB to Serial converter will work fine.

{ISV-K}SVX

No USB? Ugggh...I wanted to run it off my motherboard header. I suppose I can do it using a converter, but that is nasty with cabling internally. Why does the Bay convigurator even give the option of selecting a USB 633 if CF does not have one?? That is a tad misleading IMHO.

I select:

Aluminum
White on blue background (TMC)
USB (motherboard) WRUSBY11

I was about to buy it before I came here. Good thing I did. Any reason for this? If you don't have USB, will you ever get it?

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
I don't know why MO is spouting nonsense about them being the "only one" to read RPMs from a fan while simultaneously controlling the fan speed by PWM. The 633 has done that since the very first units, which have been shipping for something over a year now.

The USB 633 with the motherboard cable is available now. I think the web folks got it all working in the cart on Thursday, but it has not been formally announced yet. Here is a direct link to what you want:

http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/cart.html?CLEAR=1,DB633ALTMCKU2=1

You can also just go to the kit selector here:

http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/select_kit.html

and select it from the options.

You can see pics of the 633 USB here:

http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/633usb/index.html

You will probably have to write support@crystalfontz.com and have them mail you the updated USB driver that knows about the 633--I do not think the updated version with an installer is on the site yet.

Be sure to write MWP / CrystalControl Admin or support@crystalfontz.com to get the 633 service software. It is a bit nasty to install right now (GUI installer is in the works, but there is a good readme and you can e-mail or call support if you have installation questions) but once you get it loaded it works beautifully:

hot CPU = more fanpower
cool CPU = less fan power
(or any temp sensor controlling any fan--like power supply temp controlling the power supply fan :) )

Plus it becomes active before you log on, and it enables the fail safe feature of the 633 so if your PC locks playing UT2003 (which mine seems to do), the fans will kick to high speed to protect the CPU.

Also very cool is that it meshes with MBM, so MBM knows about the fan speeds and temperatures that the 633 knows about:

In addition, when the 633 service is running, CrystalControl can simultaneously talk to the 633 and show whatever you want (winamp, MBM, system stats . . . ).

CF Mark

Administrator

CF Mark

Administrator
The Big Sorbo said:
You say that you can edit the boot screen on the LCD for the 633, how do I do that?
You can do it with the 633-Monitor that comes with the 633 service.
It cant edit/use custom characters though.