grrr...is there still hope?

ScorpionV

Im so mad right now so sorry if i make a lot of spelling mistakes. I got an seriel lcd and some polarizing film. I was getting ready to switch the film and everything, but i had to go to work. Dad knew what i was going to do and he decided to take the liberty to do it himself while i was at work. So when i came home i found out that he peeled the wrong film off!!! He peeled the one with the gray stuff on it!! is there any saving this lcd or will i have to get a new one? Please help....

Is there anyway i could order another one of those gray strips?

*edit* okay im making my display negative so it will probably need backlighting. So i probably wont need the transflective strip. However when i did make the display negative the letters are green (good), the box behind the letters is black (good), but the rest of the lcd that doesnt display text is still green (bad). I need this to be black. I did add some polarizing film to the back of lcd since dad took it off and when i look through the lcd it looks black, but the backlight makes anything outside the text space appear green. Any ideas on how i can fix this?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

CF Mark

Administrator
Hmmm.... you may have a bit of trouble now.

Youll have to make the LCD backlit for negative chars to work. They cant work reflectivly like it was before you changed it.
Changing a reflective LCD to be backlit isnt an easy task at all.

As for the gray strip... i very much doubt it. But you cant use it anyway as you will have to replace it with somthing else to make the lcd backlit.

ScorpionV

oh sorry i didnt mention this in the post. The lcd is a 634 backlit. If i make it negative then i wont need that strip correct? Since the negative displays need back lighting then the strip is obsolete.

CF Mark

Administrator
Ahh ok...

Well you prolly will need the grey strip then... im not 100% sure, but i imagine it makes the LED backlighting look uniform.
A dodgy fix might be to replace it with some fine grade paper? Maybe somthing like wax-paper used in cooking?

ScorpionV

I was thinking that the negative lcds sold by crystalfontz were transmissive. There are three types of lcds catagorized by the gray backing from my understanding.

Reflective backing-no backlighting is possible. The strip reflects light that shines on it and light cannot shine through it. ex-calculator lcd

Transflective backing-can use backlighting or room light. This is what the 634's are. It lets you use the lcd with or without a backlight.

Transmissive (no backing)-must use a backlight since it cannot reflect room light. ex-laptop screen.

Now the 634 that i had was transflective, but since i peeled the strip off i made it transmissive. So there is no way i can use my screen without a backlight. But since im going to make a negative display i pretty much will need to have the backlight on anyways so i dont think this affected me all that much. I may be wrong here so an official opinion would be nice.

Googo

Green Back

One thing you may try to do is put some more polarizing film over the parts that are not polarized to black. Put this at a 90 degree angle to the existing film. I'm sure you'll figure out what i'm saying. if you do, you may end up spending alot of time cutting the polarizing film

ScorpionV

I did figure out why some parts were not in black. My polarizing film was cut parallel to each other. This worked well but i needed to rotate it maybe about 20 degrees to block off all the light. When the light passes throught lcd glass it "twists" the light. I cant really explain it but this causes the film to need to be placed at like 70 degrees or 110 degrees or so instead of 90.