Graphical User Interface Software for GLCDs

ALynk

Hello,

We are developing a GUI Interface using the CFAX1264AP1-TFH and a PIC24 series uC.

I'm not new to uCs, but I am new to Graphical Displays.

I wanted to get a feel for what others are doing and their preference when writing code to create menus.

I recently purchased EasyGUI to create the Display Menu, but am having difficulty with compatibilty with our C Compiler from CCS.
It seems like a great way to go using EasyGUI..plus the price is right. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I will be able to use it because of compatibilty.

1.) Is anyone using a GUI Software program such as EasyGUI (www.easygui.com) or are most writing own code?
2.) Does anyone have a preference on other C Compilers for Microchip uCs?

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Rick
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
I have always ended up writing my own routines. It seems that the projects I end up working on are always tightly constrained in terms of memory, processor speed, and code space, so I end up making my own code that is highly optimized.

The down side is that development takes forever. For a high-volume project, it still might make sense to have reduced hardware needs (lower production costs) that a tightly coded graphics library offers.

For a low volume project (<1000 per year), I think the approach of using a larger/faster processor with a commercial graphics library will make more sense.

Have you tried RamTex?

http://www.ramtex.dk

I worked with them once, and they were quite helpful. I do not have experience with EasyGUI, so please let us know how it works out.

In writing your own libraries, I have found that you really do not need too many functions. Typically a line function, a rectangle function, and a bit-aligned text function will handle a large portion of what you would want to display.

ALynk

I will look into Ramtex and see what they have to offer. Thanks.

I definitely want to turn it around fairly quickly..that's why I was leaning towards EasyGUI.
Once I get communications and initialization done with the LCD It's just a matter of learning a new software program which will write the menus for me -- but might not in the most code efficient (memory) way. That may not matter for this particular project since we are using the PIC24 series which seems to have quite a bit of ROM and RAM.

As far as a new compiler -- I'm leaning towards the Microchip C30.

Thanks again for your suggestions and advice.

Rick

ALynk

We ended up keeping the EasyGUI software to interface with the PIC24.

It is compatible with Microchip C30 compiler -- I also tried it with the CCS PCD compiler -- not compatible, but EasyGUI may release a compatible version with CCS in the near future.

Once you get communication going with the GLCD it is pretty straight forward. I've had a few technical questions and they were very responsive. EasyGUI is located in Copenhagen, Denmark.

It should really cut down on development time since EasyGUI creates the necessary libraries for you.

I recommend reading the manual throughly and go through the tutorial exercises.

Rick