Graphic Displays Prewired?

Americanfreak

Graphic Dispalys Prewired?

Are the graphic dispalys prewired for the pc? If not how much would that cost to have one done? It seems that the next big trend is graphic LCD's and I'm having a very hard time trying to find one that is already wired up. Maybe this is something CF should start thinking about..... :D
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

spock

Sorry to be the one that has to do the disappointment, mate, but, as the guys over at CrystalFontz have clearly said numerous times, they do not support graphic displays for connection on a PC through the parallel port (or any other port, for that matter, if you, by some chance, made it). Graphic LCDs are sold only for interfacing to embedded systems; which is why this post has remained unanswered, actually. So, pre-wired CFAGs are out of the question. Maybe (just maybe) in the distant future, they decide to wire some with a serial or USB on-board controller, but right now, or in the near future that is somewhat unlikely.
Sorry...

Americanfreak

you know thats just to bad. I love my CF LCD and wanted a CF gLCD...but I guess I and others will have to spend our money some where else to have a graphic LCD :(

spock

Graphic LCDs cont'd

Well, my friend, if you insist on having a graphic LCD wired serial, this is highly unlikely... It would take a substantial amount of time to get a complete screen refresh, especially if you're working with big displays (requires transfer of around 10kb of data). Apart from that, there is a high CPU utilization when accessing legacy ports (such as COMs or LPT). The best way to do it would be USB, but for the time being, no vendor offers something like that. There is a project at work, but it's not finished, and it's quite uncertain on how much support it will have. As for a regular parallel connection, it is possible, although somewhat risky, but with lots of caution and double-checking, many people have pulled it through. A visit at www.lcdstudio.com or powerlcd (the latter not free) might prove useful.