GPS LCD Relocation

biggane

Hi,

-I have very little electronic experience. I have a project I'm working on and not sure if it's possible. I have a garmin etrex legend and I'm trying to relocate the LCD screen to a situation where it would be wearable. I broke the data connection for the LCD while messing with it so now only part of the screen shows. I'm wondering if I can by an lcd (no backlight) from here and use all the electronics off the garmin to run it. The lcd has a 30 pin-out connection coming off it to a FFC with a toggle switch mouned to the board thats connected to the screen. Any idea's? Thanks

Pete
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

biggane

Hi,

This is a link to some pictures I have taken of the LCD/Board that go with the garmin etrex legend. The board does not appear to have any chip located on it for the lcd driver. All the chips appear to be on the main board. I researched the chips on the mainboard online and they were all either "interconnect" or flash memory chips and what I think was an amd processor. I did not see any chip specifically for the lcd. I don't know too much about this stuff so hopefully someone can give me some pointers. Again the goal is to replace the lcd with a working component. Would it be possible to display only certain information off the gps unit? Like just the grid coordinates and not the graphics and map? Thanks

Pete

CF Mark

Administrator
So what part of it is broken?
Did the flat cable rip or somthing similar?

Its hard to tell, but i think the LCD controller is on the PCB in your photos.

I think youll have to get a replacement from a Garmin service center.

(i have a Garmin Vista)

biggane

The grey flat cable tore at the bottom. Garmin won't sell the lcd seperate from the unit so I was trying to just buy the lcd. I am trying to relocate the display outside of the actual unit via ffc extensions.

CF Mark

Administrator
Well you might be out of luck then :(
Im pretty sure the LCD will be specific to the GPS.

Try calling local GPS shops that are known to service/repair Garmin GPS's.
They may be able to order a LCD in for you.