Fan Control Questions 633

JakeNL

At the moment I am considering to buy a 633 display, because I would like to have automatic fan control. So far i haven't found any device that allows me to automaticly react on the DIFFERENCE between 2 temperature sensors, like the outside and inside temperature of my computer case.

Questions:

-Who is all using these devices for fan control. I have hardly seen any posts on this forum about fan control

-Is fan control done by the software or by the firmware of the module?

-If the fansoftware crashes, what happens to my fan speeds? I am very worried about this issue since it is always possible for software to crash and I don't like to burn my components due to a software failure.

Thanks in advance for the help
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
-Is fan control done by the software or by the firmware of the module?

Software, with some intelligence added by the firmware.

-If the fan software crashes, what happens to my fan speeds?

If the software has enabled "Fan Fail Safe" (Please confirm CC Admin), then if for any reason the software does not update the speed, the fans go to 100%.

jc634

Administrator
I've used all 3 variations. 633, 631w\SCAB, and 635w\SCAB.

I've had 1 fan per header and as many as 3 fans per header.

My current setup uses a 631w\SCAB to control 4 case fans, and a 635w\SCAB to control my water-cooled radiator fans and read data from a flow sensor.

See this thread for my work log which uses this setup.

When you restart CC2 or kill the service, the fans go to 100%. I did have an issue at one time where the fans (8? total) on 1 SCAB would not start at all. It was rather disconcerting! I replaced my crappy power supply with a better quality one and I have never had a problem since.

Hope this helps in your decision making process...

Jim

p.s.: This is the quietest, coolest running setup I could have ever imagined having! I can BARELY hear any fans at all. All my fans run at less than 50% power, even under load, and my CPU and GPU temps are fantastic!

JakeNL

Since I am still considering, I am wondering if it is possible to only run a SCAB, without the display. I actually am only looking for a fan controller and don't really care for the display. The software for the fancontroller I really like and it seems like I have to buy a screen with it.

If it's possible without, it would make both me and my wallet happy :)

CF Tech

Administrator
The SCAB will just leave the fans at 100% without a display. Not much of a controller then ;)

JakeNL

Calibrate temperature sensors?

After I received my 633, I connected all 5 temp. sensors that I bought.
The funny thing is, that they show very different temperatures. Reading the specs of the sensors (DS18B20), they only shoulf vary +/- 0.5'C. Mine almost vary 5'C.

One shouldn't have to calibrate digital sensors, right?

(all sensors are sitting right besides each other at the moment)

Attachments

CF Tech

Administrator
The sensors should read closer than that. I have opened a ticket for you, we will correct this issue.