External Mount Suggestions?

Crazy_Monkey

I looked a bit over the forums and didn't see any mention of a box or enclosure or something for an external or desk mount of an LCD.

In particular, I have a 635, and I love it, but I've been debating where to put it, like attach it to the monitor, on top of the monitor, or a standalone box, and what to put it in. Of course, there's the obvious, DIY plexiglass box-for-my-desk solution, which sounds like fun, but I'm low on the time required to make such a box.

Any suggestions?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
We will have the drive bay brackets shortly, but that doe snot sound like the solution you are looking for.

You can team up a drive bay bracket with a external drive enclosure (kind of like the example shown here but larger).

Other than that it is probably plexi and a dremel ;)

Crazy_Monkey

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply! That would probably work and be a nice quick solution.

Hopefully those brackets will be out soon. :)

Of course, for a sleek, angled back display for easy desk reading, I'll have to do some dremel work. Yet, my largest concern is the faceplate, and the bracket, whether modded or not, will do nicely.

reider

Crazy_Monkey said:
I looked a bit over the forums and didn't see any mention of a box or enclosure or something for an external or desk mount of an LCD.

In particular, I have a 635, and I love it, but I've been debating where to put it, like attach it to the monitor, on top of the monitor, or a standalone box, and what to put it in. Of course, there's the obvious, DIY plexiglass box-for-my-desk solution, which sounds like fun, but I'm low on the time required to make such a box.

Any suggestions?
Here in the UK, I bought an external drive box from Tiny for £20 (Computer World). Its purpose is to hold a HD or a CD/DVD Drive, with a front cover included if a HD is fitted. I quickly removed the front cover, attached a couple of 3.5" HD brackets in there and clamped in the 635 with the included 635 bracket. I drilled a hole in the side and passed the electrics through this, this pic is pre drilled hole.....

Later, after testing, I added a HD behind the 635 with the electrics housed in the rear of the box. This means seperate power to each, the 635 has its own USB plug coming out of the side of the box and the HD has a USB cable plugged into the rear.

In a further test, I added daisy chained temperature probes to the 635 SCAB emenating from the side of the box. With these I can insert them into any nearby computer and get a case reading. I also use one for room temp monitoring as a direct comparison to any computer temps.

Steve

Attachments

Crazy_Monkey

Excellent! Thanks for the picture, gives one a good deal to go off of.

Seems to me my only show-stopper now is the lack of a face plate or a complete mounting bracket.

CF Tech

Administrator
You can write sales(at}crystalfontz(dot}com (edit to '@' & '.') and they can arrange to get a beige or black one to you (well, we have some rough "aluminum look" ones too that you might be able to use).