Enhanced Histogram feature wishlist

meklubba

Hi!

I problably make my self the most hated person by wishing for this, but some one's got to do it... :D

Here it comes.
Background:
If you set scroll_time=1500 you get a new bar every 1.5 second. Everything that happens in between two bars is not taken into account. Say you have a histogram over CPU usage and have scroll time of 1.5 sec. Bar x is 0 of height because at time t the cpu usage was 0, then for 1 second the cpu works at 100% and then goes back to 0% usage. Now Bar x+1 as well is of height 0 because at the time t+1.5 the cpu usage was 0%.

My wish is an option i.e. bar_average=0/1 to set if you would like the current behaviour (bar_average=0) or if the histogram plugin should calculate the average of sums of values in between and use that for the next bar (bar_average=1).
I am very aware of that this wish is easy to describe and can be hell to implement. ;) Therefore, if it is easy to implement go ahead and do it, but if it isn't, then put it last onto your to-do list. This feature would be nice but not highly prioritized as the current behaviour is acceptable. :)

/Daniel
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

jc634

Administrator
Why use histograms? Particularly if you want fast response. Use the horizontal bargraphs.

Much more responsive, gives more informative real-time info, and just looks better (to me, anyway;) ).

Jim

meklubba

Sorry, I didn't mention it. I have the current value displayed and the histogram after like this.
CPU NNN% <histogram>
MEM NNN% <histogram>
e.t.c.

/Daniel

meklubba

Errr... It seems that I must have been drunk the last time... ;)

The histogram IS averaged in between the bars no matter the update time (scoll_time). So all of you that might have been worried by this thread, I apologize.
I've just run a more extensive test with cpustres.exe to verify my mistake.

Sorry guys to have been wasted your time, bandwidth and hard disk space...
...who am I kidding, you know I'm not! :D

/Daniel

EDIT:
PS. Admin, could you after a couple of days delete this thread since it is a flase alarm. It will not do any good but confuse others.