Dos

billk80

I just bought 20*4 LCD.

It is working under windows 2000.

I want to ask I can use under DOS.

If I can How can i do?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

albataur

I have the same question.
I would just display a message ("Loading ...") while windows load.
Is it possible under DOS ?
Thx

albataur

CF Tech said:
Try this:

Code:
mode com1:19200,n,8,1
echo Loading . . . > COM1
I do not have a display here to test it on, but I think that should be pretty close.

The thread "send text from command line" goes into more details.
That's all ?!?
Thx ;)

I think for a LCD on parallel port it's just

Code:
mode com1:19200,n,8,1
MODE LPT1=COM1
echo Loading . . . > LPT1
No ?

Last edited:

spock

Well...

It isn't that hard, either, if you know a little bit about programming. If you have a parallel LCD module, perhaps I can make you a little DOS proggie to display a set message, if you'd like. Just give me the particulars of your LCD. ;)

albataur

Re: Well...

spock said:
It isn't that hard, either, if you know a little bit about programming. If you have a parallel LCD module, perhaps I can make you a little DOS proggie to display a set message, if you'd like. Just give me the particulars of your LCD. ;)
Thx a lot :D That would be nice.
I wait for receiving a CFAH2004A-TMI-JP (20x4 blue).
Are you able to do something ?

PS : sorry for my english, I'm french ;)

spock

Right!

I will probably be needing your wiring layout, but I'll try to make it configurable through a txt file, as well as the message displayed.
Oh, I can also program a custom graphic, only it has to fit into 8 characters. If you have any idea, draw a black and white bitmap, not bigger than 8 characters, each 5x8, and send it over.
Wait up, for a while!

Au revoir !

Last edited:

albataur

Re: Right!

spock said:
I will probably be needing your wiring layout, but I'll try to make it configurable through a txt file, as well as the message displayed.
Oh, I can also program a custom graphic, only it has to fit into 8 characters. If you have any idea, draw a black and white bitmap, not bigger than 8 characters, each 5x8, and send it over.
Wait up, for a while!

Au revoir !
About the wiring layout, there will be something like this :

About the custom graphic I'm going to try to make one.

Can I give the code to other french (with your signature of course :D ) ?

Thank you again !

spock

Well...

Do you want the sourcecode as well? I was thinking of giving you just the exe file! Can you find Turbo C++ DOS compiler? Anyway, if you really want it, I'll... think about it! ;)
About the wiring, the pic you linked does not work, so...
Anyway, draw what you want, fix the wiring and let me know... okay?

Adieu, mon ami !

Last edited:

albataur

Re: Well...

spock said:
Do you want the sourcecode as well? I was thinking of giving you just the exe file! Can you find Turbo C++ DOS compiler? Anyway, if you really want it, I'll... think about it! ;)
About the wiring, the pic you linked does not work, so...
Anyway, draw what you want, fix the wiring and let me know... okay?

Adieu, mon ami !
Yes it would perfect if you gave me the source ! :)
It isn't difficult to find a compiler I think ...
I will try to draw a sandglass and I will send it you
Sincerely thanks ;)

@++

spock

O-cake

So, you want the source, eh...? I'm still thinking here...!
Oh, well, what the hell, besides, it's no big secret anyway! Just draw what you want (what's a sandglass anyway?), and I'll do the rest.

albataur

Yes I want the source (if it's possible ;)). Like that I will be able to modify the program.
So, the message is "Chargement ..." with a pic of sand glass :

@+

spock

Cool...

Oh, that's what you meant with "sandglass"...! Riiight! Okay, no problem there! Most probably the message will be user-configurable, if I'm satisfied with the code. On the other hand, since you'll have the sourcecode, I don't need to make anything user-configurable...! Okay... I settled this with myself! Proggie coming right up !

albataur

Thanks a lot :) :)
But ... it seems to do not run :(
It happens nothing when sb opens lcdwriter.exe in dos...
Do you know what is the problem ?

spock

Umm...

Well... heh... see... all the "happenings" are supposed to be taking place on the LCD and NOT on screen! That's why... Would you like it to show something on the computer screen?

albataur

No no, it isn't useful because it's a message while the computer boots.
Three personnes have tested and they said that there is nothing on the LCD. But I will be able to say you exactely when I will have mine.