Dos

spock

Bad

Well, that's bad... mine works perfectly. Do your friends have the same wiring, like the one you showed me? Oh, of course, it won't work if you run the program under Windows, especially NT-based, like XP or 2000.
I'll check again, maybe it's the speed of your systems. My DOS programming is done on a 386 system. Maybe I'll plug my little character LCD on my main computer (which now has a graphic 320x240 LCD), just to check!
By the way, have you found any DOS C++ compiler yet?

I'll get back to you!
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

albataur

Re: Bad

spock said:
Well, that's bad... mine works perfectly. Do your friends have the same wiring, like the one you showed me? Oh, of course, it won't work if you run the program under Windows, especially NT-based, like XP or 2000.
I'll check again, maybe it's the speed of your systems. My DOS programming is done on a 386 system. Maybe I'll plug my little character LCD on my main computer (which now has a graphic 320x240 LCD), just to check!
By the way, have you found any DOS C++ compiler yet?

I'll get back to you!
Hum ... hum ... I think that is the problem :cool:
About the compiler I have visual studio, but I believe it's only for win32 appli ? Or with gcc maybe :) ?

spock

Well...

Actually, it should be possible with Visual C++, selecting console application, but I cannot be sure; have never tried gcc. I'm using Borland Turbo C++ and it works perfectly.
If you'd like to test the program, the way to go is make a boot disk, boot DOS, and run the program from there. Windows do not allow access of the ports without using special libraries (winio or dlportio, for example).
Oh, and if you do get it working, it'll have a small glitch in the display; I'll be posting a revised version tomorrow!

Au revoir !

spock

Tomorrow

Well... tomorrow was a little offset! So, the revised version of the program is http://skagon.teamfraud.com/pub/LCDWRITE.ZIP and it contains both source code in Turbo C++ and an executable, running perfectly in DOS, on my beloved 386. Sorry, but I don't have the time to disconnect my graphic LCD from my main system and connect the petite 4x20 character one!

Do tell me if it works!

Voyez-vous !

Lemming

This piece of software was what I was looking for...

One 'but' though: how should the source be modified to use on a 40*4 display? Just make the strings longer, or isn't that going to work? Don't really know anything about the language...

Thanks...

Last edited:

spock

No...

There has to be serious modification for it to work properly on a 4x40 display. Would you be interested in a new program? The language is plain Turbo C++, nothing special.

Glad you liked my program!

Lemming

I sure would be interested. Would be really cool to have. All of such programs I've found (two I guess) never reached beyond a 20*4 display.

spock

Okay...

I'm okay with that, just tell me the wiring scheme you followed -- not much space for innovation here, but you can never be too careful -- and I'll see what I can do.
By the way, what is the "other" program you found? ;)

WillGonz

How would you do the hour glass graphic? Do you use custom chars. or can you control the indivual pixels?

WillGonz

spock

Hi

Well, sorry for not having made that proggie yet. Have been kind of busy lately.
Anyway, yes, that graphic can only be done using custom characters, as the HD44780 does not allow direct pixel manipulation. Since that 4x40 LCD uses two HDs, there are 16 custom characters available, eight for the two top rows and eight for the two bottom.
So, if you need any bigger graphic, I'd be glad to make it happen! ;)

How about you, albataur, have you gotten your character LCD yet? Is it working? I'm still waiting!

Last edited:

LeFreak

Hi I'm Italian, I don't speak english very well so I have a question.
My pc has win2K with service pack 4 and I'm waiting a 20x4 display, a CFAH2004A-YMC-JP, can you compile for me a program to do the same like DOS?
Thank you.
Bye.

LeFreak

Hi I'm Italian, I don't speak english very well so I have a question.
My pc has win2K with service pack 4 and I'm waiting a 20x4 display, a CFAH2004A-YMC-JP, It's a parallel HD44780 Display, can you compile for me a program to do the same like DOS?
Thank you.
Bye.

spock

back

Hi to all. Sorry for not hearing from me, summer came to Greece, and I promptly forgot everything and hit the beaches!
So, monsieur LeFreak (c'est chic?), if you're asking me to make a program that will do the same like DOS, do you mean a program that will run at boot and show a static screen? If that's your request, I'm very sorry but I cannot do that. For all I know, it cannot be done, but I'm not a windows programmer either. Good old DOS provided all the support for running programs at boot time, which feature got inherited by all Windows 9x and ME, but all Windows NT offsprings strictly prohibit that, as they load the device drivers and kernel at boot, and are very strict about that.
Sorry!

P.S. The proggie for 4x40 LCD will be coming shortly!

LeFreak

aaaaaaaaaaaaa Freak out... LeFreak c'est chic... eheheheheheh
Cannot I pilot an LCD at boot event? Oh no!
Can you help me or I must change o.s.?
Thx.

spock

boot

Hi again. Yes, you have understood correctly, I (at least) cannot drive an LCD at Windows NT-based systems (NT, 2000, XP, 2003) at boot time. For all I know, Windows of that breed load the kernel and device drivers on boot, and there is no way that I know of that will make them run a plain program. Moreover, these Windows prohibit the use of all ports unless a special library is used. So, all ports are hidden by the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) of the system by default.
Really, if it was possible, I would have already done it!

albataur

Re: boot

I'm back !
I've just received my lcd today (after more than 1 year waiting...) !
I've tested your program. It's run perfectly under dos. But unfortunately I've just read the boot on win 2k/xp is not the same thing than win 98. So is it really impossible to run a program on boot ?
Thank you nevertheless, to have helped me ;)
Bye

Last edited: