CrystelControl not working with standby/resume?

anohman

CrystalControl not working with standby/resume?

I regularly use the standby/ resume feature instead of powering down/restarting my computer (mainly because it's faster, takes 'bout 5 seconds).
However i recently installed a CF 632 display and am using the official version of the CrystalControl software and when i resume my machine CrystalControl has "crashed" (ie display is just blinking a cursor and nothing happens when i click on the systray icon). If i use the task manager to kill the process and then start it again manually, it works, but this is very annoying.

Anybody have a solution/workaround for this?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

CF Mark

Administrator
Can you find out which one you are using?
Standby, Suspend or Hibernate.

All three act a little differently.

anohman

It's Standby

According to the power options in the control panel it's "Standby".
BTW, I am using WinXP with SP1 installed.

CF Mark

Administrator
Ok... just wanted to make sure it wasnt "Hibernate".

So what happens to the LCD while the PC is in Standby?
It should still be on with the last displayed screen.

anohman

On a side note:

Would it be possible to add a "SKkip if WinAmp IS running" option to the screen config (in order to get the winamp screen on asap when winamp starts, and not let it loop until it gets to the winamp screen)?

anohman

The display is off (as is the rest of the computer, i.e. all fans, etc...) the only thing that in a sense is a little bit "on" is the PSU as it outputs the +5VSB power in order to detect a resume request (usually by pressing the power button) and the NIC because i have enabled the Wake on LAN feature.

CF Mark

Administrator
Sorry... but are you sure its not Hibernate?
Because HDD power connectors (molex) do not loose power under Standby.

Anyway, i guess that doesnt really matter.
At the moment i have no idea how to detect the coming back from any of the power saving modes... but ill look into it.

anohman

I'm sure that it is standby, and yes it is possible that the lcd has power while the computer is in this mode. However, the LCD powers off when it does not receve a signal from the serial port anymore and this is exactly what happens (the mb powers off so that the COM ports become inactive).
When the port turns on again (on resume) the display lights up (because windows writes something to the port?) and shows the splash screen. After this all I get is a blinking cursor in the top left corner.
The CrystalControl software is unaware of the fact that the computer was ever "off" and does not reopen the port, and stops responding.

There are window messages in the windows API that look something like WM_Hibernate, WM_Standby and so on. These might be used to detect a standby/hibernation event and to make the program re-initialize the display.

m3rdpwr

I have the same problem with my 634 USB display.

I have the same symptoms as he mentions.
This happens whether I Hybernate or STD.

I have tried both versions of CF software.

When is this version to fix this problem to be released?

If it was already, than I still have the problem.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks...

-Mario

Windows XP w/ SP1
WinAmp 2.81 (I think)
VIA EPIA M9000

Last edited:

m3rdpwr

Thanks.

I downloaded it again from the beta site.

Something must not have installed properly.

Second time around it worked.

Thanks again...

-Mario