Change from USB to Serial

thaimin

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to change a LCD panel from a USB connected model into a Serial connected model. I have CFA632-YFB-KU. The serial port is still there, and the USB block is just on top of it all. The power is probably the issue since the USB block is integrated straight into the power.

Jeff
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Support2

Administrator
The CFA632 USB version does indeed still have the DB9 header. In order to support the USB interface, there are some other modifications done to the module (several jumpers). This disables the DB9 header. While it *is* possible to convert the module back to serial we do not recommend doing so. The USB and Serial interface are mutually exclusive.

You will need to very carefully remove the USB daughter board, change the jumpers back. Power for the backlight and contrast are supplied via the header (J2) that the USB board is mounted to, which is why the removal needs to be done very carefully.

thaimin

It is as I thought. If the want/need to have it go over serial becomes more pressing I am likely to just get a new one that already supports it.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hfuy

I was about to ask exactly the opposite question - I have a serial CFA635 here which I'd like to run USB.

I'm OK with "be very careful." Would I not also have to reflash the thing with different software?

Are Crystalfontz willing to supply the USB software to RS232 owners?

P

CF Support2

Administrator
I was about to ask exactly the opposite question - I have a serial CFA635 here which I'd like to run USB.

I'm OK with "be very careful." Would I not also have to reflash the thing with different software?

Are Crystalfontz willing to supply the USB software to RS232 owners?

P

Do you have a CFA632 or CFA635?

If you have a CFA632 it can be converted by adding the USB daughter board. The firmware is the same. If you are interested in doing so, there will be a small charge for the board -- send an email to support@crystalfontz.com. It's the going from USB to Serial that extreme care needs to be observed.

If you have a CFA635 serial, that requires new firmware to be loaded and we can do that for you as well. Again, send a email to support@crystalfontz.com and we'll get you taken care of!

Hfuy

Fantabulous.

It's a 635. Can I load the firmware? I'm in the UK and I don't want to keep sending the thing back and forth.

P

CF Tech

Administrator
Unfortunately, it takes a special programmer.

(The next design will be able to upgrade in the field!)

CF Tech

Administrator
Well, I guess that would more properly have been something like: "We will not have any other designs that can't be upgraded in the field."

Except for the next one, because it uses the old architecture, but I swear, that is the last one :(