CFAX12864C-WGH-TS and a 68hc11

matteft

Sorry if something like this has already been posted, I’ll just looking for alittle direction since I’m building my first microprocessor-based system.

I’m wanting to interface a CFAX12864C-WGH-TS with a 68hc11 and i'm wondering if it is possible. It looks like I can after looking at the datasheets. Also is there a good way to adapt the lcd cable to a protoboard? Last, are there any good tutorials I should look over.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give, its greatly appreciated.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

is there a good way to adapt the lcd cable to a protoboard?
That will be the hardest part, I think. The ZIF connectors for the flex tail only come in surface mount, and the contact pitch is 0.5 mm (20 mils), so unless you can find an adapter board somewhere (or fabricate one) you will have a hard time. CFA has a CFAXZIFDEMO board, but it connects to a parallel port. Even so, that may be a viable solution since it also contains the 5v-3.3v translators, which you'll need anyway. Just connect your protoboard port outputs to the DB25 pins.

Are you programming in assembler or higher level language?

CF Tech

Administrator
There is also a header on the ZIF demo board that exposes the signals directly from the connector.

matteft

Re: Re: CFAX12864C-WGH-TS and a 68hc11

Thanks for the responses :)
cosmicvoid said:
Are you programming in assembler or higher level language?
Preferably C but would assembly be easier? I have no problem with either. Does CFA have a LCD that would be easier to interface to a protoboard?

CF Tech

Administrator
Did you find the source for CFAX_WinTest? There are some macros that you can re-define, then it would probably port fairly easily.

There is a presumption that you will be mostly putting text to the display... if you are going to be doing bitmap graphics, that's a different story. If you want to use C, you can avail yourself of my driver package and font editor, located here:
https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3619

If you want to use assembler, I don't have any HC11 code for the CFAX, but I have HC12 code that would be pretty easy to modify. If you want a copy of that, PM me your email addr.
Does CFA have a LCD that would be easier to interface to a protoboard?
Probably the CFAG series would be easier to wire up. But they don't have the touchscreen, and are larger.

matteft

So i just ordered a CFAX12864CP1-WGH-TS and the CFAX ZIF DEMO PCB. CF Tech thank you for your help and i haven't found the CFAX_WinTest code but i'll look around for it. cosmicvoid, thanks for your help :) too.