CFAF320240F-T: data sheet and availability

ldn

Hi,

I am interested in the CFAF320240F-T LCD. I have several questions:

1. do you know what the optical properties are? That section appears to be missing from the data sheet. Specifically I'm interested in the viewing angles, contrast ratio and response time.

2. This is for a product that will have a lifespan of at least 10 years. What does the availability on this part look like? I'll just be happy if you can tell me it will be available for the next 3 to 5 years.

3. I will be using it to display text in a GUI interface. It will not be used for displaying pictures. Do you think it will look clear and crisp in this application?

4. How does it look 45 degrees off the to the side? Will it still be legible? Our customers will spend a lot of time looking at the display from the side (both sides, unfortunately...).

Thank you.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

v8dave

Hi there,

I am using the touch screen version of this display and it is very good. Attached is some pictures of the display from front and sides. Remember that my display will be slightly less bright than the one you plan to use because of the touch screen. There is also some reflection in the right hand view and I tried to reduce this. In real life the image is much better than what the camera sees. My screen is also a little dirty as it is a prototype and being handled constantly.

Crystalfontz will have to give you the rest of the information as regards the technical details you are after.!!

Dave...

Attachments

ldn

V8Dave,

Thanks for posting the angle shots, that was VERY helpful. I think it will be just fine.

Nice UI by the way!

CF Support2

Administrator
1. do you know what the optical properties are? That section appears to be missing from the data sheet. Specifically I'm interested in the viewing angles, contrast ratio and response time.
We are in the process of finalizing this data with our partner factory. We have a revised data sheet in progress, and hope to be releasing it soon with this data.

2. This is for a product that will have a lifespan of at least 10 years. What does the availability on this part look like? I'll just be happy if you can tell me it will be available for the next 3 to 5 years.
Our "philosophy" about products is that we have the intent of introducing long life products. Our goal is to keep manufacturing our products for as long as we can obtain compatible parts. We have been working with TFT modules that have "long life" controllers. Hopefully, we've done our research and have chosen correctly.

The only "real" way to ensure a 10 year lifespan is to buy a 10 year supply of parts. We'll keep doing out best so you don't have to do that tho.

3. I will be using it to display text in a GUI interface. It will not be used for displaying pictures. Do you think it will look clear and crisp in this application?
Any of the interfaces are very suitable for this type of application. Several customer are using SPI to keep the number of the control lines low and they have reported good results.

4. How does it look 45 degrees off the to the side? Will it still be legible? Our customers will spend a lot of time looking at the display from the side (both sides, unfortunately...).
The viewing angle is quite good for this module. At over 45°, it won't be "optimal", but is still readable.

ldn

Thanks for the info, I just needed to ask to make sure there isn't any anticipated EOL coming up.

I'd also like to make sure that ordering 50 in November won't be a problem. Do you need a lead
time for an order like that?

I just ordered one for evaluation. The checkout page said that orders placed before 2pm EST
are shipped out the next day. So I'm guessing orders placed after 2pm are shipped the day
after next. I'm hoping to demo this thing next Wed. so if you're not too busy and could get
it out today or tomorrow it would be helpful.

Thanks.

CF Support2

Administrator
Thanks for the info, I just needed to ask to make sure there isn't any anticipated EOL coming up.

I'd also like to make sure that ordering 50 in November won't be a problem. Do you need a lead
time for an order like that?

I just ordered one for evaluation. The checkout page said that orders placed before 2pm EST
are shipped out the next day. So I'm guessing orders placed after 2pm are shipped the day
after next. I'm hoping to demo this thing next Wed. so if you're not too busy and could get
it out today or tomorrow it would be helpful.

Thanks.
An order of 50 may require a lead time. With the current production issues in China, we can't say right now how long of a lead time there will be. Did you need the modules in November, or were you going to place the order then? To be fairly safe, you can take the dates you need the part, subtract at least 8 weeks, and that would be when you would need to place your order by. I would be best to contact our logistics group at sales@crystalfontz.com - they will be able to assist you in when to place your order so you have the parts when you need them. Some lead times are currently at 12+ weeks.

For your records, we never schedule an EOL for any of our products. There may be changes, improvements, etc. along the the way. There are rare occasions that we do EOL a product, and this is due to something beyond our control - such as a manufacturer EOL'ing a controller or other part where we are not able to work in a fully compatible part, or there is just enough of a change in the new part (code changes only when ever possible) where we release a new part number and EOL the original. This is a fairly rare occurrence tho.

We do our best to ship the day the order comes in, or the day after. No sense in hanging on to an order when we have the parts in stock!

ldn

I just wanted to let you guys know that I hooked up that LCD and it looks FANTASTIC! I'm very pleasantly surprised. Anyone who is considering this display should not hesitate to get one and try it out.

Unfortunately it turns out that it's going to be too small for me. At this point I am looking at using either a 4.3" 272x480 or 5.7" 640x480 display.

CF Support2

Administrator
Thanks for the update!

Glad to hear you have the module up and running, but not that it's "too small". We have some larger displays on the way - no time frame as to when they will be available. So hopefully we'll be in the running down the road.