Cfa635-yye

slim jim

Can you pass a large string to the cfa635 and have it display the first 4 lines and then wait until you press the down arrow key before displaying the rest of the text?

Thanks
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
You would need a software application to do this. The display only "knows" about what is shown on the LCD, it does not have a separate buffer that it can scroll around in.

reider

There is a way to read the first four lines of text from a text file and display it on the 635 module. When the first four lines are changed and saved this new information is then displayed on the fly to the module. Now, the module itself cannot read the first four lines then the next four, though this would be a brilliant feature. However, if you have an external program that can write to the textfile and save it then that would so it.

Nothing is impossible, we just haven`t found a way to do it yet......

Reider

CF Tech

Administrator
If this is for a Windows application, there could probably be made a CC2 plugin that would allow text file display and scrolling.

reider

The text file reader that we use with the modules is a windows procedure. At some point the module must be pointed at the top four lines of the text file to be able to read it. This is an intrinsic and automatic part of the text reading routine controlled by the plugin. However, I`m thinking what if an addition is made to the plugin so that it can be hooked into a keypress to read the next four lines. Thats probably along the lines of what you`re thinking, unless I`m much mistaken.

I don`t know the full ins and outs of the plugins (I mess more with the screens) but this seems a fairly simple add on. The effect on the end user would be just amazing. A module that has the ability to scroll through a document in its entirety, by four lines at a time!!! This would be an extremely powerful procedure. I can think of many many examples where this would be useful.

Heres but one...... A user has a list of 40 odd airport codes and wishes to see one to check the airport listed. He starts the text screen reader and the first four codes are listed. He then proceeds to press the down arrow and the next four are listed and so on. When he gets to Manchester , he sees three listed (EGCC Manchester+EGCB Barton+EGCD Woodford) but can easily find which is the one he wants for that journey.

Reider

CF Tech

Administrator
And use the special characters stacked on the right side to make a scroll-bar like thing that would indicate the position in the file.

And allow the R+L arrows to scroll for long lines? Or wrap?

reider

I looked at the textfile2 plugin (only in use, not to edit) and a sample screen. It reads roughly as follows...

id=@01 is text on line one
id=@02 is text on line two
id=@03 is text on line three
id=@04 is text on line four

so the @01,02,03,04 IDs remember what text is entered in the text file for each line,
then these id numbers are called later in the screen to reproduce the text on the module. Something like id 12345678 + 3 more id`s and then increment the id numbers by 1 with each keypress might work. Thus, getting a new id number in a given range, equating to a new line number or set of line numbers further down the page. This depends on how its tied into a plugin though.

To get the keypad (I`d personally use up/down) to work in conjunction with more lines (id=@05,06,07,08 etc) would entail not just a change to the textfile2 plugin but to the keypad plugin too I think. Looking at it their is presently no built in number code to use to indicate a keypress and structure it to pass a call to a plugin. If you want Contrast, Brightness, Winamp, Speedfan control etc then these all presently have built in codes to use with the keypress.

If text wider than the module could be read then thats good, but I think this is going to be asking a lot of a plugin with 4 lines in use on a 20x4 module. Restricting a textfile to 20 characters wide may be the order of the day if this is so. Its possible but a lot of scrolling and a lot of reading on all 4 lines. If it was utilised this way I`d say reserve up/down to scroll through the page. Then use left (line 1), tick (line 2), right (line 3) and x (line 4) to denote lines 1,2,3,4 start/stop scroll. Thats if any of this at all is possible...... the other option is regex-oh please Lord no!!!

Reider