CFA631 Screen Freezes after a few hours

chilli

Hello, I was able to get the 631 module working on my computer. But for starters, when I inserted a few of the screens that were already there in CC2, the 631 screen would freeze after a few hours (say 4 hours or so). I browsed the forums and found that the email screen could do this. So I removed it and now it just has the system time and date screen and the memory utilized screens. Bt it still freezes and I cannot get it to start back up again until I turn off the main power to the computer and then switch it back on. Just doing a restart of the computer does not reset the 631 screen. Any suggestions? I am using the 631 on a Windows XP computer. I did install the 02/26 version of CC2. Thank you for helping out.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
Try stopping CrystalControl2 and closing the tray control, then deleting all the INI files (except "cc2_config.ini") in the dirctory where you installed CC2.

Doing this will be the same as a clean install.

Setup your LCD and a few screens again, see how you go.

jc634

Administrator
chilli said:
Bt it still freezes and I cannot get it to start back up again until I turn off the main power to the computer and then switch it back on.
Have you tried using <ctrl><alt><delete> to bring up the Task Manager and stopping the CC2_service.dll service? If you restart the service thru the Config program, does this bring the LCD back? Not a cure, but much quicker than shut down/restart of the computer.

Also, internal USB cable or external?

chilli said:
Just doing a restart of the computer does not reset the 631 screen.
Ya, I've had that happen some times. A little frustrating when it does happen. Just to let you know that this happens to others than yourself!:)

Alos, regarding the USB cables, I suggest that you use a tie wrap to secure the LCD side of the cable to the LCD bracket. I'm *not* suggesting that this is the problem, but they are rather delicate, and it might help for future referance.

Jim

chilli

Implemented the suggestions to not much avail:

1) tried stopping CC2 but CC2 could not stop it (the screen just would say stopping and teh CC2 icon would change from Blue to Red as if it stopped but status would still say stopping. Went ahead and killed CC2 service in task manager removed the .ini files and started CC2 again as instructed but cC2 would not start. Fixed itself upon restart of the computer.

2) Just stopping cc2_service in task manager did not work to fix the lcd screen either.

Any more suggestions to try? Thx for your help.

chilli

I am also attaching the zip file of the log files and ini files in CC2 as requested in the sticky on this forum. I am using an external USB cable to answer a previous query. Thank you again for all the help.

Attachments

chilli

I am running the 20060325 / build 156 version as the screenshot shows. I went ahead and uninstalled and downloaded from the link sent and reinstalled it. Also attaching the zip file with the new log files and ini files in a separate post as I cant do two files in one post I think. Thx for troubleshooting this with me and I apologize for all the help requests.

Attachments

chilli

The log files with the new install - it is the same as the old build that I had on - which is 20060325 version. Thx again.

Attachments

CF Mark

Administrator
The first set of log files you attached had "CrystalControl2 Service Version 20060226 (build 0198)" in the "cc2_service.log" file.
I wonder if you were somehow running some new files and some old.

So is the reinstalled latest version having the same problem?
Looking at the logs it appears to be starting, running and then stopping ok?

chilli

The same problem reappeared. I had stopped CC2 on my own after a couple of minutes in order to put the zip file together. I restarted CC2 and it ran for a few hours with the screen updating but it froze just like the previous times after that. In case it helps to have the log files after it froze, I am attaching them here. Thanks again.

Attachments

CF Mark

Administrator
Code:
ue 28 10:12:34 NOTICE    init_modules: module initilised ok (ID = 1254961100)
Tue 28 10:12:34 NOTICE    init_modules: Adding up/down screen events for 631 module
Tue 28 10:12:34 NOTICE    execute_cc2: is now running
Tue 28 20:20:40 NOTICE    execute_cc2: signaled to stop
Tue 28 20:20:40 NOTICE    do_stop: unload dlls
Tue 28 20:20:40 NOTICE    plugin_unload: unloading plugin "lcd_631.dll"...
Thats the end of your "cc2_service.log" file.

It says that CC2 ran ok for 10hrs, then you tried to stop the service at which point it died.

Does that sound right?

chilli

I noticed that that the log said that but the lcd module had stopped updating about 4 hours prior to that. I dont know why the log did not pick that up. In order to keep tabs on the lcd freezing, I just used the System Date Time screen only and the screen stopped updating at 6:10:53 PM which is about 4 hours + earlier than when I stopped cc2 service. In these 4 hours +, CC2 kept running in the background (the icon was blue in the Task Manager) but in reality, the 631 was not updating. And, when I try to STOP CC2 service at this point the service will not stop, instead it says stopping. In fact, it still says status "STOPPING", a full 7 hours after I gave the command to stop as per the log. This is a good snapshot of the problem I am having, the lcd module updates for a few hours and then stops communicating with CC2. Thank you for working with me.

CF Mark

Administrator
One more question/something for you to try.

After it does die and you cant stop it...

Open up the windows task manager, and kill "cc2_service.exe".
When you have done this, the CC2 tray icon should turn red.

Then run wintest, and see if that will write text, etc to the LCD.

Testing this will rule out a USB driver problem.

You can get 631 wintest here:
http://www.crystalfontz.com/software/631WinTestindex.html

chilli

One clarification: The CC2 task icon does turn RED even if the status says it is "STOPPING".

As per your suggestion, I went ahead and terminated cc2_service in the task manager but left cc2_config running. I opened WinTest and it didnt pick up the module as it says COM3 port is in use (the 631 is in the COM3 port).

I then closed WinTest and then killed cc2_config as well in the task manager. I then restarted WinTest but the result is the same.

If it is the USB driver, I did the installation the right way and there were no hitches during the install. Is there a way I can uninstall the USB drivers and reinstall?

Thank you.

CF Mark

Administrator
Well that does sound like a USB or USB driver issue rather than CC2.

First thing... check your USB connections.
Try using a different motherboard USB slot, or if connected internally, try a different set of USB pins.
Also unplug the USB connector on the back of the 631 and then plug it back in again.

Second thing to try...
There is quite a procedure to doing this, but it will ensure that the drivers are reinstalled and you are using the latest version.
Get the latest USB drivers from here if you dont have them already, then install them:
http://www.crystalfontz.com/software/usb/index.html
Once that is done, follow this:
Open up the windows system properties window (hold the windows key and press the pause/break key).
Go to the advanced tab, and click the environment variables button.
Under system variables, click the new button.
Use "DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES" for the var name, and for the value enter "1".
Now close those windows, and open the device manager.
In the view menu, select "show hidden devices".
... then in the ports and usb devices lists, delete all Crystalfontz related USB devices.
Reboot.
After reboot, windows should ask you to install the drivers for the 631.
In the "found new hardware" dialog that windows displays, select "install from a specific location (advanced)".
Then in the next dialog, deselect "search removable drives", and select "include this location". Click the browse button and select the location where you installed the USB drivers.
After hitting the next button, windows should install the drivers.
Repeat this for the USB Serial Drivers also.

mattlefler

Ive got the same issue

Ive tried uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting the hidden devices, the whole tamale and I still have the freezing issue. After a few hours I cannot stop and restart CC2 - it says "stopping", but its locked up tight. Nothing to do but reboot the PC. I have tried both sets of USB pins as well!!

Is there anything new on this issue?

Thanks,

Matt

CF Mark

Administrator
Can you follow the instructions here, wait for the problem to happen again, then zip up and attach the log files in here?

reider

My 631 has been doing this a long time, just never got around to sorting it. However, my puter is well ready for a format and I long since stopped installing the 631 so the problem doesn`t crop up, time to get it back into service again.

Something keeps sticking in the back of my mind, some hardware has to be physically disconnected from the USB bus until after the drivers are installed. Failure can result in problems, even leading to the device not working at all in some instances.

Now, my 631 used to work perfectly but now stops after a few hours/minutes-varies. As a beta tester I often start afresh and sometimes put new drivers on or reinstall my old ones. I do this without disconnecting the leads from the internal USB.

My 634 and 635 modules are connected externally to the USB bus and disconnected prior to driver install. My 631 is connected internally to the USB bus and almost never disconnected. Now, it doesn`t take much figuring when I tell you the 634 and 635 continue working perfectly, whereas the 631 freezes. This means doing a three fingured salute before shutdown, alt/ctrl/del and doing an endjob on CC2 service+config or the puter will not shutdown properly.

Might not help you all in your endevours but just a little food for thought. Will know once I do my format, cos the beggar is getting disconnected this time. If it works I may have to wire in a kill switch to the back of the puter for this job.

Reider-aka Steve-have fun n enjoy......

phuklok1

shoot... now mine is freezing up too the last couple of days. Its been working fine for months but now it randomly freezes. No software, hardware or even screen changes have been done -- restarting the CC2 process does not help. CC2 still thinks its updating the display even though it had long since locked up. hope a solution comes up soon. :-(

CF Mark

Administrator
What happens if you unplug the USB for the LCD, leave it for say 30sec, then plug it back in?
Leave CC2 running while trying this, dont restart it, etc.

Does CC2 redetect the LCD and start updating it like normal?