CFA631 Screen Freezes after a few hours

phuklok1

its hard for me to disconnect the device because it is an internal connect model and the header is under my main scsi disk array -- however, I did download a utility called BusCommander and issued a reset pipe command to the CFA631-USB device directly. I heard the disconnect/reconnect system sound and it was operating again, so I am fairly confident that a physical disconnect/wait/reconnect procedure would work. I guess it almost seems like the usb->serial device driver is locking up for some reason. I hope this info is helpful. Thanks.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
So how often is it freezing up?
I guess even if it isnt that often, using the utility to reset the USB connection is still annoying, and shouldnt have to be done anyway.

While it could still be a CC2 problem, it does sound more like a USB driver or hardware issue.

Try using a different USB header on the motherboard and make sure the connections are solid (unplug and plug them back in a few times).

phuklok1

it freezes up now fairly consistently after a few hours. I just moved USB headers now, so I guess it wait and see time. Since its possible to do a software reset of the bus, I wonder if it might be possible for CC2 to send a reset command after some time if it cannot contact the display controller... Anyway, I'm hoping its just the port since I had very few prior problems before the last few days.

CHa

I have a 631 and same problem. After a random amount of time the LCD seems to reset - switches off (looks like power is lost - goes completely blank with no button lights) then immediately on again showing the boot screen (sometimes only minutes, rarely more than a few hours or so).

The CC2 service icon is shown as orange and even force closing the service doesn't allow me to restart it - gotta restart PC to 'fix'. I tried switching on full logging but nothing is logged in the cc2_service.log that indicates there has been a problem. I never got this problem using CC1 (but would like to use CC2 - love the functionality!).

I've now installed LCDSmartie and have been using it without any problems for more than 7 days uptime now!! (so kinda discounts USB driver or hardware issues, right?)

Is there any other info users with this problem could provide CC admin / support to assist in solving this issue?

hmboy

I had this problem.

Crystalfontz helped me (warranty) by replacing the LCD.

Then that didnt work, so they sent me a new scab and that fixed it.

Try it without scab.

jaydee116

Has there been any other conclusions to this? I got a 633 model and it suffers pretty much the same fate. The unit itself loose it's connection and the screen would lock up to whatever it was when it locked up. If I unplug the USB and replug it in it will then start to work again for a unspecified amount of time. Sometimes a minute sometimes 4 hours and everywhere in between.

I have moved the USB connection to all available ports and com ports to no avail. I have it setup right now with a front USB plug on my case and the USB cable running around to it. When the screen freezes up I just unplug and replug it in and it starts up a few seconds later. Isn't to big a deal but my fans all go to 100% when it freezes and it gets loud real quick. CC2 keeps right on running unphased.

I have the newest USB driver installed and am pretty sure it is not the problem. CC1 and Smartie both run 24/7 without issue as does wintest. Think their is something during the updates from CC2 that causes it to loose connection maybe. If I could figure out how to get the fan controler to work in Smartie I would just go with it.

Mercury

I have the same problem (for a looooong time now). I can report the following:

After the freeze, CC2 will not stop. After trying to stop CC2, the icon will remain orange but never turns red.

After the freeze, the CC2 service cannot be stopped from "Services" in windows. (The stop request times out.)

After the freeze, the module can't be disabled in Device Manager without a reboot. (When the module is working properly, it can be disabled and enabled with no problems and no reboots.)