CFA-635 problems

BlancMange

Hey.

im new to using CC2 with LCD's

i used to have a 20x4 Parallel LCD with LCD Smartie, but ive moved up to USB with the CFA-635 model.

i installed the USB drivers and cc2, then plugged the LCD into the USB... windows finds the drivers by default and installs them..

ok fine LCD powers up and i get the default crystal fontz screen.

but i cant use cc2 or the wintest program for the 635 to get anything out of it...

in the wintest, the status is "looking for module" on COM 4 which says its the LCD and im running it at the 19200 baud rate.

when i look at the packed debugger.... the wintest is sending data... but not recieving any acknowledgment... its sending the "read version" command but not recieving anything else and timing out...

what could be the problem

(and yes, ive been through all the FAQ's and posts, even talking to a friend which has the exact model and is working... still no luck)
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
To verify, it does not say "(in use)", and 635_WinTest just shows "looking for module" ?

If so, it pretty much has to be a bum display. Please write support(at)crystalfontz{dot}com (edit to '@' & '.') and request an RMA. Please reference this thread.

BlancMange

it DOES NOT say "(in use)" and 635_WinTest just shows "looking for module"....

im very sure it is not a dud display as i bought it second hand and when i went to pick it up, the seller showed it working at his place.

im in australia... so getting a new display will be a bit hard...

CF Tech

Administrator
Well, we are starting to have some reasons to suspect that the 2176 drivers (at least the signed version that we uploaded to Microsoft) have some trouble.

It might be that loading the 2176 on top of the 2154 is the trouble. Can you get the 2154s from our site, and try them on another PC? Be sure to disconnect that PC from the internet before connecting the LCD so it does not suck down the 2176 drivers automatically.

We are trying to figure out exactly what combination makes the failure.

BlancMange

ok... that worked a treat.....

wintest works fine for the LCD, everything is functional...

tried using CC2, but it has no luck.

so it has to be the signed windows drivers conflicting

--edit--

ok, all is fine now.... CC2 just needed a few dll updates and now its fine

Last edited:
USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

CF Tech

Administrator
I am glad you have it working. We are going to do some more experimenting on this end to see if we can duplicate whatever went wrong.