CFA-633 Linux serial test software

brainproxy

Hi!

I have opened a trouble ticket, but wanted to throw this out there to any linux guys who may be able to help me. I am fairly new to Linux, but I have a pretty good grasp. Here is the situation:

I can execute test 633:

brainbox root # /usr/local/crystalfontz/631_633_linux/test633 /dev/ttyS1 115200
Ultra-simple CFA-631 / CFA-633 / CFA-635 command-line communications example.
Crystalfontz America, Inc. http://www.crystalfontz.com

Usage:
/usr/local/crystalfontz/631_633_ linux/test633 PORT BAUD
PORT is something like "/dev/ttyS0" or "/dev/usb/ttyUSB0"
BAUD is 19200 or 115200
To clear the display, enter "clear" as an optional third parameter

Serial_Init:: tcgetattr() failed
Could not open port "/dev/ttyS1" at "115200" baud.

###

It is as if there is nothing connected to the serial port. I have tried this with ttyS0 - 7 just to be sure. Also with 19200 baud.

I have the CFA-633 serial connected with a 9 wire RS232 plug to my PC as well as the floppy power cable from my power supply. I recieve no life-signs from the LCD at all. Is this normal?

The cable I scavenged from a serial replicator port. I used a gender changer and plugged this into the PC so I could connect the cable.

I aligned the red wire to the "top" of the LCD so that pin 1 would correspond to wire 1.

The /dev/ folder holds ttyS0 and ttyS1, so I assume that they are valid devices.

I hope this information helps.

Thank you in advance,

Will
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
Opening an RS-232 (Com) the port is possible with or without a device connected to it, so it is expected that you get the same error with or without the CFA-633 connected.

I am not sure why the open call is failing. My first guess would be that port names like /dev/ttyS0 are not correct for your system, though I would not know how to verify that guess. I'll ask CF Web to look at it, they have more Linux experience.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad