adding LED backlight CFAX12864A-NFH

Jean LEE

Hi,

I need to add LED backlight to the CFAX12864A-NFH. I don't want to use the EL backlight version (CFAX12864A-WFH).

Is it possible to place the LEDs behind the screen? Or is it mandatory to place LEDs on the edge?
Is there a LED backlight version which does exist? (I didn't found it)

Best regards,

Jean LEE
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Support2

Administrator
The CFAX12864A series was never stocked with an LED backlight, although it was available.

Because of the Samsung KS0713 controller being discontinued, we have begun to manufacture a physical replacement module using a Novatek NT7534 controller. The code changes we have encounterd so far have been a single line for addressing the display.

The replacement part for the CFAX12864A series is the CFAX12864T. This will be available with a white LED backlight. Currently we have most of the CFAX12864CP1 series replacements on-line with the CFAX12864U1 series.

If you need a single backlight to use with the module you have, we should be able to get you taken care of. Send and email to support@crystalfontz.com referencing this forum thread and we'll go from there.

Jean LEE

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

I looked into your products which have a LED backlight (CFAX12864CP1, CFAX12864U1) and see that they tipically consume 40mA. It's too much. I would prefer to use CFAX12864A (or CFAX12864T) without backlight and add my own backlight.

Can I put the LEDs behind the screen or do I have to put them on the edge?

Best regards,

Jean LEE

CF Tech

Administrator
LEDs can be put behind it, it would just be a matter of trying to make it lit evenly.

The 40mA is not required. You could drive the LEDs at 10mA or 4mA or even 1mA, they just will not be so bright.