A few pre-purchase questions

lapoltba

I have been looking for an LCD temperature controller for my new build for a LONG time... and when i say long.. i mean since i built my first build over 5 years ago. I just never found a suitable product.

It seems that CF here has what i am looking for but i have a few questions.

1. Can any other temperature sensors be used other than the "1 wire" sensors from Dallas?
(ie. can i use a thermistor like all other temp controllers use?) Basically, i want to be able to use the thinner sensors instead of the dallas ones.

2. Does the software have to be running in order to use the SCAB to control the fans?

Thanks for your help.

*EDIT
Oh yeah, and how is the compatibility with windows vista x32 ?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
1. Can any other temperature sensors be used other than the "1 wire" sensors from Dallas?
(ie. can i use a thermistor like all other temp controllers use?) Basically, i want to be able to use the thinner sensors instead of the dallas ones.
No, just the Dallas parts.

2. Does the software have to be running in order to use the SCAB to control the fans?
With no software, the fans will go to their default speed. The software can set up the fail-safe, which basically sets the fans to 100% if the software stops talking to the CFA-635. So yes, the software needs to be running, but if it stops the CFA-635 can be programmed to keep the system cool.

Oh yeah, and how is the compatibility with windows vista x32 ?
I think it is fine.

lapoltba

Failsafes are good.....

I saw somewhere in one of the datasheets (i think it was for the 635). That an ADC could be used in a "test circuit" is there any way to use the ADC with one of the thermistors and be able to read it with CC2?

Thanks for the quick reply.
-Brian-

CF Tech

Administrator
That is a Dallas one-wire ADC. Yes, in theory that could be used to read an analog temperature sensor.

CC2 would have to be modified to read it (possible in theory, but probably not really likely).

lapoltba

CC2 would have to be modified to read it (possible in theory, but probably not really likely).
Just to make sure i understand correctly... You are saying that it is not likely that CC2 would need to be modified? or are you saying that a thermistor with ADC is not likely to work with CC2?

Thanks again.
-Brian-

CF Tech

Administrator
Sorry for not being clear :(

I am saying that a thermistor with ADC is not going to work with CC2.

lapoltba

no worries :) Just wanted to make sure i was on the same wavelength.

Thats too bad though. I think the Dallas sensors are going to be too big to fit near my CPU to get an accurate temperature. I have an LGA775 processor and i just dont thnink there is room underneath the socket to put a sensor there. Do you know of any other solutions that may work? (ie. smaller sensors)

Also, I will ned to make a custom faceplate for the 635. Is there a better CAD drawing avaialable for the layout, hole sizes, and locations other than waht is in the documentation listed on your site? The one i found will require me to redraw it in autocad in order to get a useable sketch. (not a problem, but i would rather not go through the hassle if i dont have to)

-Brian-

Heffo

After the examination of an LGA775 based mainboard I have on my bench (Foxconn P45A-R) there is no way you are going to be able to directly attach ANY type of temperature sensor to the underside of the CPU die.

The socket is surface mounted to the PCB with no room for any type of fine wires to feed under it. You also won't be able to feed any wires between the CPU and the socket since the CPU is pressed (with some force) onto the small pins protruding from the socket and any wires fed through will cause the CPU to not contact the socket properly.

The only thing I can suggest at all would be to bond a small sensor to the underside of the heatsink as close as possible to the CPU, while still allowing enough clearance for it to not interfere with any components on the mainboard. The downside to this is your readings will be of the heatsink not the CPU, which will be considerably cooler the further away from the CPU you get.

lapoltba

yep, thats what i remember seeing too. I havent had my MOBO apart in a while i was going to check if there was a small space between the mobo and the underside of the socket to sneak some wires under but if i remember correctly there is zero clearance there.

I will figure something out, the heatsink may be my only chloice.

CF Tech

Administrator
If you write support@crystalfontz.com and request the drawings for the bracket, they will send them to you.

At one time CC2 was going to allow the fans to be controlled by the on-board CPU die temp. I do not know if that project happened . . . seems like it was dependent on a 3rd party software. Maybe ask over in the CC2 forum,