635 Q & A before I buy

jc634

Administrator
I am just bying a CF635 and I prefer Matrix orbital !

With CF635 you have a boot screen with cristalfontz publicite !
all cristalfontz softwares not support CF635 !
very expensive !
no support
no remote firmware change !
no open for OEM

that so...
1. Gee, just use Wintest to change the boot screen
2. :confused: CC2 fully supports the CFA-635. Other than that, I am not sure what you mean.
3. hmm. The last time I checked, MO displays were just as expensive, if not more so.
4. The last I heard, CF's support was one of the best in the industry. Why do you say that?
5. :confused: I would have to *guess* that user-allowed firmware changes would add signficant cost to the product. Required for a VERY small % of users. Why would want to add additional cost to a product you already state is too expensive?
6. :confused: I do not understand your statement...
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

jc634

Administrator
I sorry if you only want goods comments; here a futher customer ask him questions and if I can help him for his decision I do it !

pehaps cristalfontz work better to have more customer !

It to late I bought a CF 635 ! I post a questions to drive CF635 in RS232 TTL and they send me a usb model with a bad firmware (I can't use RS232 TTL) IS THAT A GOOD SUPPORT FOR YOU ?

use SEARCH with ' RIVATUNER ' and look at how many post without any answer !

if shipping charges was lower I send them back there produt but 35 $ from US to europe it to much !

Idea 1 : a simple swith on only one board to use 232TTL or usb
idea 2 : every manufacuer use remote firmware flashing !

https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?t=5106

did you return your motheboard or your graphic card, modem and so one for an update !!!(I do speak about bug or new feature update !)
Shipping across the pond would be expensive for any company. I can not give you an answer about the TTL support. It all depends on how you ordered it from CF.

Regarding your ideas, me thinks RS232 and it's derivatives are a dying part of consumer MB's. My MB has 1 RS232 port (I don't use) and no LPT ports (I don't miss) at all. USB rules, whether you like it or not. It would seem to be bad business practice to maintain costly off-the-shelf features for interfaces that are quickly disappearing.

Yes, MB's, GPU's, HD's and other components do have remote firmware updates. My *guess* is that they also sell many more of each of these components (more volume = less cost) than CF sells to the average consumer. The ability to do remote updates cost money, and additional HW to support what you are asking for. Didn't you state elsewhere that the displays were too expensive. Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think MO displays have remote FW update capabilities, either.

If you are having an issue with RivaTuner, please ask a specific question on the nature of the problem. Perhaps I (or someone else) can help you out there. Just complaning about it does not get you help...;)

BTW, I am not an employee of CF, either. I am just a consumer, like yourself, who has spent considerable time working with CF displays and CC2 to be (hopefully) knowledgable about many of the aspects of CF displays and associated SW. Mostly SW, however, as I am not a HW designer.

Anyway, I wish you luck with getting your display working as desired. If you have a specific SW question, please explain your problem.

Jim

jc634

Administrator
sorry but CF635 is not supported by bootscreen program http://www.crystalfontz.com/software/

can you explain me how set custom characters and make boot screen with wintest ....

thanks for your reply

sorry for my bad english but if you prefer french ....;)
Try this: http://www.crystalfontz.com/software/635WinTestindex.html. Hopefully, this will explain things enough for you. I am not an expert on Wintest. However, if you have problems, let me know. I will load it and try to "refresh" my memory.:)

And FWIW, your English is MUCH better than any French I know...:p

Jim

madmat

Honestly, gillou, I had no idea that you had purchased the 635 when I posted and instead thought you were just coming in to badmouth the product. Jim is the man for helping you out, he's helped me sort out my fair share of issues (not with the product but with my lack of understanding of the software end of it) and is extremely good at making things work even for the software impaired.

As to serial ports dying out, my motherboard doesn't even have any, it has a header for connecting an out-board port to but then you lose a PCI slot due to the bracket.

CF Tech

Administrator
There is a fledgling open source project for the CFA-633 going here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/psoc-cfa-633/

the architecture between the CFA-633 and CFA-635 is close enough that the code for the CFA-633 should be a good start on the CFA-635.

As far as changing your USB CFA-635 to a serial one, it would have to come back here. You can ship it however you would like (cheap & slow, if you want). We would handle return shipping.

gillou

Try this: http://www.crystalfontz.com/software/635WinTestindex.html. Hopefully, this will explain things enough for you. I am not an expert on Wintest. However, if you have problems, let me know. I will load it and try to "refresh" my memory.:)

And FWIW, your English is MUCH better than any French I know...:p

Jim
thanks jim to help me but wintest work fine, you can make a screen like you want but you cant save it on EEPROM for bootscreen ....

my server take a long time to boot an during this time I would prefer to see my company's name :D than cristalfontz loging screen ....

CF Tech

Administrator
Use the "Packet Debugger" in WinTest to send "Command 4" with no data. That will save the module's current state as its boot state.