635 and Windows 7 64 bit

maddmaxx

I am having a hell of a time trying to get my 635 working in 7. I have downloaded the drivers from Windows Updates and installed both the drivers and CC2 and no joy. When I go to Device Manager\ Hardware I am told that the device is installed and working properly yet my screen is black. This is a dual boot with XP Pro on one side and Windows 7 on the other. CF works perfectly on the XP side. I have spent mucho time on this and still no go. :mad:
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
Can you write support@crystalfontz.com and ask for assistance?

I saw a ticket come through where a user was successful and they documented the steps they took.

It was a convoluted path, but in the end it worked. Perhaps you can help us pare it down, then we could put the steps here in the forum until there is a better fix.

jc634

Administrator
FWIW, I installed several CF displays on Win 7. The OS found and downloaded the drivers automatically. Which was quite nice.

I installed CC2. At that point, I simply copied over all my Vista ini files and all worked beautifully.

So, just for the heck of it, you might want to try that and see how it goes.

maddmaxx

Yes I can write and ask for help because God knows I'm at the end of my rope. I am amazed that 7 downloaded the drivers for it. Not so for my version of 7. The only thing 7 did was install all of my HP printer drivers without asking for the disk.

maddmaxx

Finally

Okay this was really a weird trip getting this thing working. First I was getting the "Unsigned Drivers" issue so I was pointed to MS updates by CF's own Brian Lilly( much thanks ) after installing the new drivers I went to "Device Manager"\Hardware to check it out and got the old"this device is working properly" message when in fact the screen was black. I tried to copy over my setup from XP Pro to 7 but it did not work for whatever reason. Then I decided to manually configure my screens but when I tried to go through the start menu\all programs and tried to do the config. I was getting this error message "C:\Program Files\CrystalControl2cc2_config.exe The requested operation requires elevation. At this point config would not open. Then just for grins I thought I would open task manager and lo and behold the CC icon was there so I started CC and then configured it and it's up and running. After alot of head scratching, hair pulling, and cussing it finally works, whew!!!!!:)

CF Tech

Administrator
That is a lot like the one I saw in the ticket system. No real "oh, that is the problem" more like "I mucked around and kept at it, and suddenly it worked".

Sigh.

maddmaxx

Another Update: Okay as I stated above I got it working but on a re-boot it would not start automatically. I went into CC2 and set it to start when Widows does and it still had to be started manually. Checked a thread here and found that I needed to check Services and it was set to manual, D'oh. I set it to start automatically, re-booted and it started as it should. Hopefully when 7 is released all this will have been worked out. I never had a problem at all in XP Pro:)

maddmaxx

No problem. I have been a fan since I did my first hardware review of a CF display. That's what led me to buy my 635. A quality product for sure. If I can be of any help to anyone getting into 7 please feel free to give me a shout.:)

tater911

634 windows 7 trouble

so here is my problem. I am running Win7 RC 64 bit and my 634 works great. I was having a problem with my keyboard however. When ever I would go to rename a folder or enter in a product key, explorer would lock up. By sheer luck, I noticed that when I had not started CC2 everything was fine. The same thing happens in Windows media Center if I try to use my remote while CC2 is running, it locks up. Is there a different driver or something? It is kind of an odd problem. Thanks in advance for any help!

Crypton

Good thing I came across this thread. Or maybe not as this is somewhat unrelated. It appears that there is an unknown BSOD under Win7 x64.

The BSOD occurs on the next OS start once you install the drivers.

Replicate:
1) Install lates drivers from Windows Update or this website for CFA635.
2) Restart
3) Everything seems to load fine
4) The LCD turns on and the Glowing Windows Logo disappears
5) BSOD with code 0x00000007E.

:confused:

jc634

Administrator
I have a question for all running Win 7 x64. Are you-all upgrading from an older OS to Win 7 or doing a clean install?

Regarding drivers. I honestly do not remember atm whether Win 7 installed CF drivers automatically on initial install or if I had to tell the OS to check Windows Update for the drivers. Regardless, I did NOT have to d/l any drivers. Win 7 found and installed the drivers.

Also, I no longer remember if the Beta version of Win 7 worked this way, but I do know that this worked the same way on RC and RTM.

Crypton

Are you-all upgrading from an older OS to Win 7 or doing a clean install?
Always a clean for me :)

I no longer remember if the Beta version of Win 7 worked this way, but I do know that this worked the same way on RC and RTM.
The RTM build I think is exactly the same as RC1, though I may be wrong.

This is more details about the BSOD

0xFFFFFFFFFFC00000005, 0xFFFFFF800036D8C24, 0xFFFFF880033AEE68, 0xFFFFF880033AE6C0

I'll try to uninstall all CF drivers completely and see what WU says.

skinnee

Same problem, tried different USB headers... now going through every x64 driver I can find hopefully one will work.

Anyone else find a resolution for the 635 Win7 x64 BSOD problem?

skinnee

After many hours, reboots, drivers I finally found ones that allow me to reboot with the CFA-635 attached to the system. FTDI released drivers for Server 2008 x86 and x64 dated 02/17/2009 and versioned 2.04.16 (verified by ftdibus.inf)

When loading the drivers, "USB Converter" is for the first device (ignore the A, B, C, D, just choose plain one) second device use the "USB Serial Port" driver. Be sure to load them yourself choosing have disk and point to the specific driver and ignore the validation errors.

Working drivers

And just to be clear, I tried every driver I could find including the drivers from Windows Update... all caused a BSOD on reboot except the ones linked above.

CF Tech

Administrator
Wow. Thank you for your work. From what I understand, now that FTDI has released new drivers that work with Windows 7 64-bit, we will have to start the arduous process of getting then signed . . . again.

skinnee

It appears that way yes, although FTDI has them listed as WHQL which I thought required the digital signature but I guess not.

Just glad I got back to working order, although Fan 2 now doesn't read tach or allow volt adjustment but it still powers the fan connected. :(

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
Fan 2 not working would indicate some kind of hardware problem. Did you try swaptronics with another fan?

The thing is, when we take FTDI's WHQL drivers and modify the INF files to accept our VID:pID pairs then the signing must be done again.

skinnee

Painful requirement there. :D

I moved the fan to another channel and tried with another fan. I get power, but no tach or voltage control. Any ideas? :confused:

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad