635 and Windows 7 64 bit

KickButts

635 not working on Win 7 x64

My USB 635 has been siting on my desktop PC for some time now, I was never able to make it work since I upgraded from Vista x64 to Win7 x64.

I've tried all the solutions presented here and still can't get my 635 to work.

The 635 lights up, but I never get even the boot screen.

Crystalfontz 635 WinTest get stuck on "Looking for module..." also.

CF Support2

Administrator
My USB 635 has been siting on my desktop PC for some time now, I was never able to make it work since I upgraded from Vista x64 to Win7 x64.

I've tried all the solutions presented here and still can't get my 635 to work.

The 635 lights up, but I never get even the boot screen.

Crystalfontz 635 WinTest get stuck on "Looking for module..." also.
There are two parts to the FTDI drivers, which I'm sure you are familiar with. The USB and the VCP (Virtual COM port). When you install the Win 7 drivers, do you see both parts in Device Manager?

Also, check out here:
https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?t=6569

We have modified drivers and installation notes.

Attachments

KickButts

There are two parts to the FTDI drivers, which I'm sure you are familiar with. The USB and the VCP (Virtual COM port). When you install the Win 7 drivers, do you see both parts in Device Manager?

Also, check out here:
https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?t=6569

We have modified drivers and installation notes.
Yep, I see both parts in Device Manager. The VCP is set at COM 11, BTW.

I tried all 3 drivers on the thread you mentioned. Everytime I uninstalled the previous drivers and rebooted before testing the next. None of them worked for me. The 635 lights up but nothing is show on the screen. Same as before.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

mrcloudy

After many hours, reboots, drivers I finally found ones that allow me to reboot with the CFA-635 attached to the system. FTDI released drivers for Server 2008 x86 and x64 dated 02/17/2009 and versioned 2.04.16 (verified by ftdibus.inf)

When loading the drivers, "USB Converter" is for the first device (ignore the A, B, C, D, just choose plain one) second device use the "USB Serial Port" driver. Be sure to load them yourself choosing have disk and point to the specific driver and ignore the validation errors.

Working drivers

And just to be clear, I tried every driver I could find including the drivers from Windows Update... all caused a BSOD on reboot except the ones linked above.
I was having this exact problem. I spent countless hours tearing my computer apart to figure out what hardware was failing, since the BSOD didn't say anything useful. It was trying to install the driver from windows update. I installed this and followed the instructions and now I am having no problems. Thanks!