634 USB Software

tigermain

Lo peeps, is there any software other than the std which supports the USB models ?!?

I had a quick go with some but had no luchk, could be me tho !

Is there any specific commands or anything that are different to teh serial version !?!?!
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
Any software that works with the Serial 632/634 will work with a USB 632/634 as long as the USB drivers are installed properly.

bakerkj

Really? I am trying to use LCDproc. I can get minicom to work flawlessly. But LCDproc just locks up. Any ideas what is wrong?

I am using linux 2.4.23.

-- Ken

bakerkj

I did not edit the kernel sources. I just built 2.4.23 with modular usb serial support. Upon boot up It automatically loaded the appropriate drivers for the usb-serial adapter ftdi_sio and usbserial.

FROM dmesg:
usb.c: registered new driver serial
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for FTDI SIO
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for FTDI 8U232AM Compatible
usbserial.c: FTDI 8U232AM Compatible converter detected
usbserial.c: FTDI 8U232AM Compatible converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for FTDI FT232BM Compatible
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for USB-UIRT Infrared Receiver/Transmitter
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Home-Electronics TIRA-1 IR Transceiver
ftdi_sio.c: v1.3.5:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver

Then I used minicom with the following config file:
pr port /dev/ttyUSB0
pu baudrate 19200
pu minit
pu mreset
pu mdialpre
pu mdialsuf
pu mdialpre2
pu mdialsuf2
pu mdialpre3
pu mdialsuf3
pu mhangup
pu mdialcan
pu rtscts No

Every character I typed was echoed to the LCD634.

-- Ken

CF Mark

Administrator
Ok, was just wondering how you set it up.

If you can echo text to the LCD, LCDProc should work fine.

I had problems with the 633 under LCDProc (needed modification to work), but a 632/634 should work fine.

bakerkj

Right the fact that I echoed data to the lcd seemed to imply that LCDproc should have worked fine. The problem is that LCDproc 0.4.4 locks up after writing the initial screen to the LCD.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Maybe the linux usb-serial code? I'd read there were lots of problems with it after 2.4.20. Could it be the LCDproc I checked out of CVS doesn't work with my lcd? I don't want to return it if I don't have to.
Any ideas would be appreciated!

-- Ken

deepspace

I've been having the same problems as you all, but just tested with kernel 2.6.0 on another machine and LCDproc 0.4.3. It works perfectly :D

So appenrently the bug is somewhere in the USBserial driver. I checked, and the 2.6 kernel has indeed a newer driver!

I'm now trying 2.6.0 on the orriginal machine. Hope it still works :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jwegman

I was having the same "lock up" problem with lcdproc 0.4.4 cvs (12-30-03) with Gentoo running the gentoo-sources 2.4.20 patched with Wayne Wylupski's kernel driver patch (adds the Crystal Fontz USB IDs).

I then updated to the gentoo-dev-sources-2.4.23 which already had the CF USB ID's and the problem still occured.

I then "down graded' to the vanilla-2.4.20 sources with Wayne's kernel driver patch and now my 634 usb v2 functions with lcdproc 0.4.4 cvs mentioned above.

Thanks
Jake

marseillais

USB LCD CF-633 under Linux

Hello all,

I am new in the LCD experience so I know nothing about it !!!

I would be interested in a USB 633 but I just want to know if the single USB cable is enough or if we need to connect an cable for power to make it work under Linux ( Debian 2.6.5 ) that support the driver for USB and i have configure LCDproc 1.4.4 with:
-----------

[CFontz]
# CrystalFontz driver

# Select the output device to use [/dev/lcd]
#Device=/dev/ttyS0
Device=/dev/ttyUSB0 ##

# Select the LCD type (size) [20x4]
#Size=20x4
Size=16x2 ##

# Set the initial contrast [140]
Contrast=140

# The backlight brightness settings are retrieved
# from the serversection now. And can therefore be
# modified from the server menu now.

# Set the communication speed [9600]
# possible values: 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200
#Speed=9600
Speed=19200 ##

# Set the firmware version (New means >= 2.0) [no]
# if set, set Speed to 19200
#NewFirmware=no
NewFirmware=yes ##

# Reinitialize the LCD's BIOS [no]
# normally you shouldn't need this
Reboot=no

# This is using the USB->serial driver [no]
#USB=no
USB=yes
------------

but the CF-633 dosen't work!!!!!!!!!!

if someone can help a poor guy (such I am) it would be very very nice

Thanks a lot

jwegman said:
I was having the same "lock up" problem with lcdproc 0.4.4 cvs (12-30-03) with Gentoo running the gentoo-sources 2.4.20 patched with Wayne Wylupski's kernel driver patch (adds the Crystal Fontz USB IDs).

I then updated to the gentoo-dev-sources-2.4.23 which already had the CF USB ID's and the problem still occured.

I then "down graded' to the vanilla-2.4.20 sources with Wayne's kernel driver patch and now my 634 usb v2 functions with lcdproc 0.4.4 cvs mentioned above.

Thanks
Jake