634 USB Problem

DigitalFuzi0n

Ok, apparently this is a pretty common problem, but it doesn't look like it's ever been fixed. When I first install the 634 (direct motherboard usb connection) it works fine. However, after a reboot it will boot the splash screen on the LCD, but as soon as I log in the unit goes dead.

It is always installed on Com3. I've installed the most recent drivers, rolled back the drivers, disabled and re-enabled the device, and uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. Still no go. I get an error "Init of Com3 failed. Module will be disabled until reconfigured".

I've found several references to this exact problem, but no fixes. Could we get a definite answer on this one? Thanks.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
The USB stuff is not my strong point, so bear with me . . .

So if you re-boot, it fails to come back in the device manager, but once the PC is powered up, un-plugging it and re-plugging it makes it show up? Please confirm if this is what you are seeing.

Is there any different behavior depending on wether you do a:

1) "Start, Shut Down, Restart" (software initiated reset)

2) "Start, Shut Down, Shut Down" (hard power off)

3) "Start, Shut Down, Shut Down" and physically remove power from the box before turning it on again?

DigitalFuzi0n

It never leaves the device manager. That screenshot was taken with the LCD not working. It just gives a Com3 Init Failed error.

It makes no difference how the machine is powered down. Once it powers down and comes back up, the LCD will boot until Windows loads and that's it.

If I unhook the LCD from the mobo USB headers and plug it straight back in, it works peachy until the next time I reboot.

CF Tech

Administrator
Hmmm.

Well, I am at the limit of my knowlege on this one. I'll have "CF Support" look at it on Tuesday--CF Support knows more about the USB / XP than I do.

We may have to set up an XP box to see if we can duplicate it on this end, or if it is something that new hardware will fix we can get you a new display.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

DigitalFuzi0n

No such luck, WinTest fails too. Here's a shot of the error (and I verified that the LCD does still appear in device manager on Com3 just to make sure).

And here's one of the Init Error that comes up in CrystalControl, just in case it helps you out.

CF Mark

Administrator
Well thats a weird one...

As much as i hate to sugest it, a Windows reinstall might be the only option :(

DigitalFuzi0n

I apologize in advance if I sound rude, but I just want you guys and any potential customers to know that I am less than enthused with your product. This is at least the fifth thread I've seen reguarding this exact issue fade into oblivion without an answer as to what's going on. I will not be recommending your products to any of my friends, family, or customers and advise anyone looking at this product line to seriously consider whether or not to deal with a company that ignores a common problem with their products.

smspewee

I had the same prob several months ago. No solution, have had to explain to my wife why this thing doesn't light up anymore. Goodness gracious, I sure am glad she doesn't know how much I paid for my 634. I am going to try it on my sons pc tonight.