634 USB LCDs with serial port?

st3f

Hi everyone!

I've been searching the website and these boards for nearly three hours now (with a certain amount of pleasure I might add). :D

But there is one thing I can't seem to get straight. I'm intrested in the USB LCDs, primarily the 634-ones. But when I look at this page,

http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/634usb/index.html

the backside of the LCD holds a serial port. Shouldn't it be a USB-dito? The cable that ships with the package is it supposed to connect this serial port with an USB header port on the mother board?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
The WRUSBY03 or WRUSBY11 plugs into the back side of the USB daughter board, just under the logo.

The DB-9 (serial) connector is disabled and unused on a USB module.

Attachments

st3f

I see!

What is the difference between the units showed below "USB LCDs" and "Character LCDs"?

Are the latter ones not prepared for USB-connection? I really fancy the orange one, which doesn't seem to be available in 20x4 format... :(

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
The character LCDs are not designed to be connected to PCs. They are intended to be "designed into" a product.

Nimanic

Hey it´s my first Time to be her,

I have just buyed a 634 Display whit Serial, is it posible to make it to a USB Display ?

Thanks

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

CF Tech

Administrator
Yes, it can be converted, but you would have to return it to the factory.

Alternatively, you could use a USB to RS-232 converter cable.