634 display readibility

polywaffle

Hi guys, I was thinking of buying a 634 usb module for a htpc and before I buy one I want to know:

1. Can they be easily read from a distance? say 3 metres (the white text on blue and the yellow text on black ones in particular)

2. Would the yellow text on black be more readable from a distance than the white text on blue?

3. Is it ok if the backlight is on all the time?

4. Is there any advantages of the usb one over the serial one other than easier cable connections?

Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
Hi guys, I was thinking of buying a 634 usb module for a htpc and before I buy one I want to know:

Thank you for your interest in our displays.

1. Can they be easily read from a distance? say 3 metres (the white text on blue and the yellow text on black ones in particular)

At that distance I think it would depend on your eyes. Probably the best test would be to use the 1:1 template and place it at the desired distance. If you are fancy you could scale and print one of the photos at 1:1 size.

2. Would the yellow text on black be more readable from a distance than the white text on blue?

The yellow on black has better contrast. The white on blue is good too.

3. Is it ok if the backlight is on all the time?

Yellow backlight lifetime is about 50,000 to 100,1000 hours continuous use (about 5-10 years). The white backlight decays to about 70% of its initial brightness after 10,000 hours (about 1 year continuous). So yellow would be a better choice to leave on all the time.

4. Is there any advantages of the usb one over the serial one other than easier cable connections?

The functionality is the same. The USB version needs a driver and the serial does not. The yellow backlight will be slightly brighter on the serial yellow then the USB yellow, since with the USB the yellow backlight current is limited to 500mA.

Thanks

No trouble, please let us know if you have any questions.