633 Service doesn't start under XP

Borisw37

I am trying to run 633 on win XP. I can start 633 service monitor, and when i change the power-on settings, the screen does receive the info. But when i try to start the actuall service nothing happens. In windows event log, i get the following entry:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( 633-Service.exe ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: The operation completed successfully.

What should i do to get 633 service running?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Borisw37

I did make sure that no other software is accesing the port at that time (Crystal Control). But 633 service still does not start.

CF Mark

Administrator
Sorry for the delay.

First thing to try and fix is the missing error descriptions.
Can you open regedit and browse to the key "HKEY_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application"

Is there a key in there called "633-Service", and if there is, what values does it contain?

CF Mark

Administrator
Ok.
How did you install the 633 service?
What version?

The installer should have added the "633-service" key and a 2 values under it.

Borisw37

I installed the 633 service by clicking on this link:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/633-service/files/cf633-102.exe
and hitting open.
When i try to do the installation now i get an error message:
Error: Service "Crystalfontz 633 Service" failed to install with error :"win32 Error. Code: 1073. The specified service already existsts"
I hit ok and it completes the installation.

P.S. I DID find the 633-service folder in the directory you specified. I 1st thought that the entries will be in "application" folder, not in a subfolder.
so in .....application/633-service there are
Name-(Default), type-GEG_SZ, Data- (value not set)
Name-(EventMessageFile), type REG-SZ, Data- C:\Program Files\633-service\633-service.exe
Name TypesSupported, Type REG_DWORD, Data- 0x00000007 (7)

Last edited:

CF Mark

Administrator
Ill do some testing and get back to you.
Its been a while since ive done any work on the 633-service.

fritzzco

633 service does not not work with XP

Having the same problem with my 633 service. Says cannot start service.....error. What do I need to do?

Thanks
Fritz

CF Mark

Administrator
Re: 633 service does not not work with XP

fritzzco said:
Having the same problem with my 633 service. Says cannot start service.....error. What do I need to do?

Thanks
Fritz
Have you looked at the errors listed in the event log, like mentioned above?

fritzzco

Re: Re: 633 service does not not work with XP

CrystalControl Admin said:
Have you looked at the errors listed in the event log, like mentioned above?
I don't have an event log.

Name-(EventMessageFile), type REG-SZ, Data- C:\Program Files\633-service\633-service.exe

I have this in my reg, but I don't have the 633-service.exe in the C: program files in explorer. Also, everything is blank under sensor selection in the 633-monitor. thank you

Last edited:

CF Mark

Administrator
You dont have an event log?
The 633-service will only run on win2k & XP, both of which have event logs (its hidden away).

Go into the control panel, admin tools, event viewer, application.

The 633-service errors should appear in that list.

fritzzco

Thanks

Ok, sorry, I never used the event log before for anything. The last entry was this:

rror 5/27/2004 7:47:46 AM 633-Service.exe None 0 N/A FRITZCO

Says the descripton for this event cannot be found. and says local computer may not have necessary regs to support it.

I have about 50 of this same entry in the event log. I guess every time I try to run service. Any ideas?
Thanks Fritz

brunoz

Same problem with W2003

Hello everybody,

I have intalled the 633-service under Windows 2003 and I have the same problem.

The service starts ans stops after 5 secondes with the following message in the event-log:

- The CrystalFonts service stops with ID event : 7036.

What is wrong ?

Many thanks in advance.

Bruno.

Borisw37

so did the admins just give up trying to help me?
it has been almost a month since i posted about this problem.

CF Mark

Administrator
Nope.

Its just that hopefully in about 1-2 weeks youll be able to use the much better CrystalControl2 instead.

The only way i could really help you fix your problem is to release a new version of the 633-Service.
As CC2 will be replacing the 633-Service, there isnt much point in doing that now.

I am sorry for the delay, but as youll soon see, itll be worth the wait.

Borisw37

Thank you very much for clarification. I just was not sure what was going on. I dont mind waiting 1-2 weeks.