633 inquiry

Belgarius

I was wondering if one were to purchase a 633, along with necessary accessories, if it would be possible to use the device to control fan speeds by temps. I know it is possible to control fan speeds with software, at least those motherboards that support PWM. What I need to be able to do, is speed up a given fan, when an assigned thermal input rises, and slow it down once the temp drops. For instance, should the CPU temps increase, the radiator fans kick in a bit faster, or, if any monitored temp in the cooling loop increases, for that matter.

Would I be better off spending the time and such in designing my own circuitry? Could something along these lines perhaps be forthcoming in the long awaited daughter board for my 631? And on that front, what would be the chances of obtaining information to use in designing a daughter board to meet the above needs?

TIA
Belgarius
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

Belgarius

Many thanks for the information and the link, this looks exactly like what I need. I know the 633 will control up to 4 fans, however, my system uses a total of 7. How much wattage can each fan channel handle safely? I would need to place 2 80s per channel for three (front intakes, side intakes are Panaflo M1As, twin radiator fans are Panaflo H1As) and a single 120 on the remaining channel.

One other thing comes to mind, and that would be using more than one sensor input to control a fan channel. For instance, I have three blocks in my cooling loop, and would like to be able to control the radiator fans with the CPU, chipset, and GPU temps, so that if any rise above a certain point, the fans speed up to compensate.

Thanks again for all assistance and patience!

Belgarius

CF Tech

Administrator
The software currently limits the control to a 1 sensor to 1 fan relationship.

You can team up fans on one of the CFA-633's outputs, just keep the total draw per connector to below 1 amp / 12 watts.

Connect the red & blacks together.

You can leave the yellows (tachs) in a group disconnected, or connect one to represent a group of fans. But do not connect the tachs together, that will result in garbage tach readings.

Belgarius

The biggest draw I should see would be roughly 4.5W, and I've already learned about a single tach wire. I imagine it would take far more work to have more than one sensor control a single fan, and have some appreciation of the difficulties encountered in trying to come up with something comparable, amazing the amount of additional circuitry that would be required, at least to my knowledge.

I suppose I could either keep relying on SpeedFan to control the two radiator fans via the motherboard PWM circuitry, and use a 633 to control the rest, and display information. On a side note, and I apologize in advance for asking this yet again, has there been any progress made on the daughter board for the 631? At last I heard, the problem was in finding a source for connectors, primarily. As I already have a 631 display - which I might add, has been extremely reliable, in spite of my efforts to break it - things would be much simpler to use what I already have.;)

If, indeed, the connectors are the issue, would it be possible to purchace one with no connector in place? I could easily remove the one on my 631, and use ribbon cable to connect things with.

Belgarius