633: GPIOs ?

Dexter

hi,

i was just wondering, can the ATX power control outputs on the 633 be used as general input/output connectors? or is that something that is permanently built into the firmware? i took a glance through the manual, but didn't really see a specific answer.

if not, im sure there is a DOW chip that will allow GPIO. it would just be easier to keep extra components out of the picture.

thanks,
bryan.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
The GPIOs on the CFA-633 are not currently supported by firmware for use other than the ATX.

The DOW would be one way to go.

If you are not using the fans, you can use the "GND" pin of the fan connector as a high-current open-drain output. Just send a fan speed of 0 to open it, or a speed of 100 to close it.

Dexter

CF Tech said:
The GPIOs on the CFA-633 are not currently supported by firmware for use other than the ATX.

The DOW would be one way to go.

If you are not using the fans, you can use the "GND" pin of the fan connector as a high-current open-drain output. Just send a fan speed of 0 to open it, or a speed of 100 to close it.
dang,
thats cool though, as the DOW should be simple to implement.

I'm already going to be using the 4 fan connectors as GPIO, so I'll have to go DOW.

Too bad the 633 w/ blue backlighting is backordered for another month :(

Thanks for the superfast reply and I can't wait to get my 633 :)

Thanks,
Bryan

Dexter

bump

So I was reading the newest datasheet (hardware 1.5, firmware 1.9), and it describes the ability to control the GPIO. I just put my order in last night for another 633 (Red :D ) and I'd just like some clarification on the use of the GPIO.

As I understand, the GPIO is shared with DOW and ATX functionality. I don't need ATX and I will only need DOW for the temperature sensors.
So that means that only GPIO[4] needs to be configured as DOW, correct? I can use [0], [1] and [2] , and just configure them as general output, via command 34.

Basically what im asking is, can I turn ATX off and still have DOW working?

Thanks alot for all your help!
<3 cfontz 4 lyfe yo!!!!!!!!!1111111

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
The GPIOs have a "default" state that is their function in the earlier versions of fitmware. You basically set them to be the default, or the GPIO. You would select GPIO, then the direction (in or out), then tell them to be low or high or a percent.

Each GPIO can have its function set independently. So yes you can leave the DOW enabled and have the other 4 be GPIOs.

This screen:

in the updated 633_WinTest makes it fairly easy to configure the GPIO.

Now all we need is some end-user software to take advantage of the GPIO :)

Dexter

I just wanted to let you guys know how awesome you are!

I ordered the red 633 Friday, and got it TODAY. It is everything I need and the perfect color. (Even soldered the DOW header on for me)

Just wanted to say thanks for good work.

cfontz > *