632 Displaying }

rbhardwaj

Hey everyone,

Having a problem here. I have the 632 16x2 LCD. I had it connected to a Renesas Microcontroller Dev board and using embedded C, I was able to send it text to display. Everything was working fine in one lab, then when I went to another lab, it stopped working. Now, no matter what information I send to the LCD, all it does is print "}" repeatedly, somewhat like this

}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Any ideas on what could be the problem? I'm using the same exact code that I used in my first lab, and it doesn't seem to be working anymore even though I haven't changed anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Raj
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
That is pretty odd. Does it show the welcome/boot screen correctly? Does the screen fill completely right away, or does it fill as characters are added?

tipperni

Same here...

Unfortunately, I'm running into the same problem (or at least was). I had my 634 LCD configured to interface with a Basic Stamp and mounted. As I powered it up for the first time i was disappointed and confused to see that the screen completely filled up with } (all 4x20 chars) and the contrast was set really high. I disconnected everything and began to diagnose the problem. I realized that after some time (the typical boot screen time) the blinking cursor would appear. I reconfigured the LCD to accept RS-232 commands and began to send characters to the screen with my laptop. Unfortunately, all characters that I would send would display with }. I sent a reset command to the LCD several times. It appears that the CGROM has reset but several problems still exist. Characters send to the screen sometimes but never the characters that I send. I sent the command to display all characters in the Crystal Fontz test program. Garble filled the screen for several seconds and low and behold the boot screen appeared! I thought for once the LCD fixed itself. (Note past tense) I began to type characters to the screen and the same stuff still happens. Sometimes a character pops up, sometimes not, never the character that I actually sent. Anyways, if anyone has a clue as to what is going on, I'd appreciate it. In the meantime I have ordered a new LCD to continue my work.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad