632/634 Detatch LCD?

c0rt3x

Hello,

I am strongly considering purchasing a 632 USB LCD and a 634 USB LCD. They are for an embedded project where space on the outside of the box is minimal.

I was wondering, would it be at all possible to take the LCDs off the controller boards, and wire them to the boards via some kind of lead (about 15cm long)?

If it is not possible with these displays, is it possible with any other displays available from crystalfontz?

Thanks,
c0r3tx
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
c0rt3x said:
. . . would it be at all possible to take the LCDs off the controller boards . . .
Not really. Your best bet would be to start with a really small display (like our CFAX* Series), but it is significantly more involved to talk to them.

c0rt3x

Hi,

Could you please provide me with pointers towards some information regarding how to connect this display to a development board? I have not seen any boards which have a ZIF socket (other than the board at sparkfun.com).

Could you also clarify if it would be easy/difficult/impossible to connect two of these screens to a development board?

Thanks,
c0rt3x

CF Tech

Administrator
Our development board can (in theory) be used as an adaptor. There is a 0.1" connector on it. We had one customer report that they had to remove the level translator chips though.

The SparkFun board is good.

You can also make an adaptor PCB, or add the ZIF connector to your project PCB.