632 1.3 Serial Help?

P90Puma

I just purchased a 1.3 632 off of ebay, i am having issues setting it up. First off all i know the unit works because i have tested it on an old laptop with win95 and i got the unit to work. My specs for my computer.

WinXP Home
Amd 3000+ s939
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Mobo

The motherboard does not have a serial conncection on the back, but it does have a serial ribbon inside of the case that becomes a serial port on the back of the pc. (Addon Cable , not PCI card).

When i plug in the unit nothing whatsoever comes on, unlike when i plugged it into the Win95 laptop. I know the serial port is COM1, and that it works as i have used a serial cradle for my palm Vx. So i have no clue what to do.

I have run wintest, and most of the lcd "driver: (more like controller) software and nothing works. I also have slackware 10.1 (linux) and i was planning to get that to work but as of yet i have not had time.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
There are two different variants of the "serial motherboard header" one needs a standard cable, the other needs a kind of funky cross-over arrangement.

The USB thing will probably work fine.

P90Puma

Ok thanks for the header info, is there any way to change a cross over header to a null header, using a cable or so?

P90Puma

Thanks alot, any chance i could get a link to a wiring scheme to that cable so i could kitbash it myself from a straight through ribbon cable.

CF Tech

Administrator
You can see everything in the pic--that is why we used the rainbow cable ;)

Basically he odds get separated from the evens, the odds crowd to the top of the connector, the evens to the bottom.

It does this:
Code:
01  02
03  04
05  06
07  08
09  10

to

01  10
02  09
03  08
04  07