631 stops and shuts off

Heffo

Never!
Yes, Vista adds security, but nothing else.
Its slower, a resource hog, and XP (and Win2K) is just as stable as Vista.

Security under XP isnt something us more experienced users need to worry about :p
Here! Here!

I have XP Pro-SP2 and Vista Home Pro installed on my box. Guess which one is my "daily driver".
All you need is a little common-sense and all this security stuff becomes a moot point.

I wouldn't have bought Vista but I needed it to test some of the software I write.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

jc634

Administrator
Never!
Yes, Vista adds security, but nothing else.
Its slower, a resource hog, and XP (and Win2K) is just as stable as Vista.

Security under XP isnt something us more experienced users need to worry about :p
I guess I have not run any benchs on speed; Vista 32 on my machine "feels" faster, and Vista 64 is leaps and bounds faster than all the above.

hmm, I would agree that Win2K is probably the most stable of the operating systems (or was). XP is far too easily corrupted as a user add/deletes/changes SW, HW etc. The longer it is on a machine, the slower it becomes due to excess baggage in the registry. I have not noticed a slow down in Vista, yet.

Resource hog? RAM is VERY cheap right now. It definitely does not use any more CPU than XP. If you don't like the HD's being accessed more often, turn off indexing.

About the only thing that XP has over Vista is more mature drivers. Unless you are a programmer!:D

jc634

Administrator
IAll you need is a little common-sense and all this security stuff becomes a moot point.
You've been very lucky than. Also, no kids, huh? You would not say that if you did.:rolleyes:

You have no concept of all the CRAP they have picked up off the internet. Viruses (thank God, not too often). Spyware in the hundreds at times. And no, they are not PRON sites, since I can check where they have been. If you have the time to check/update/clean etc. all the machines I have ruinning around the house and in my daughter's places, fine. I've even been hit once or twice (XP), and I have always used "common-sense", kept my virus protection/spyware programs and databases upto date.

Viruses and spyware do not care about common-sense...:(

//RANT
Remember, common-sense does NOT apply to the common-USER. They turn the machine on, surf, do whatever. The computer is a tool, period. Security is something that they should not have to worry about.

So, no. I could not disagree more with the above statement.
//END OF RANT

Sorry about the rant. If you are one of the lucky ones who have never been hit, I am in awe. Never believe for a second, tho, that it is due to common-sense...;)

dwkdiver

where the problem lies

Yes I effectively moved my hard drive...so to speak. But my problems mostly went away except for CC2 due to old components. The computer was a new hard drive build anyway and only a few months old as the REAL old hard drive went bye bye earlier. I rebuilt the system with a new windows install when that happened.

The problem is that CC2 is not working. Its not my computer, its not windows, CC2 is where the problem lies or in the USB drivers. I installed it fresh on a computer and hooked the 625 on the USB port and it does the same thing...freezes the display after random times (I did this today before I checked the forums). Too many folks seem to be having these issues from what I read in the forum. I'm looking forward to the fix...soon I hope. If there is ANYTHING I can send from any of the machines to help diagnose the problems let me know what to do, I will gladly do it.

THanks again guys! Keep up the good work.

jc634

Administrator
That would be fine. I would suggest that:

- stop CC2 (if it is actually running);)
- go into the CrystalControl2 directory, and delete all the .log files
- start CC2 and wait for it to stop
- zip up the log files and attach here

CCadmin might want you to change a line in your logpref.ini log; this is most definitely his area of expertise. Also, he would be the most knowledgable in interpreting the log files.

Good luck.

dwkdiver

Stopped on a clean install

Well Im still having issues like before. I made the modifications according to the link posted prior to reinstalling and running. I also ran a couple of registry cleaners prior to reinstalling.

I attached the log and ini files from a clean install on a different hard drive. I deleted all the logs after setting up only two screens. I believe it stopped within a couple of hours the first time and could be as long as 10 the next time, sorry but that is a close as I can get to the actual time. I zipped the logs and attached them.

I hope this helps.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Attachments

CF Mark

Administrator
[edit]

Ok, ive spent quite a bit of today doing testing on this and youll be happy to know that i now have the same problem here.
Ill update this thread when i have some more news...

CF Mark

Administrator
To those that have had the problem...

What USB driver version are you using?
I have worked out it is a USB driver issue and not a CC2 problem.

CF Mark

Administrator
I changed yesterday from the 2.0.0 drivers to the new ones.
No change, the problem persists :(

Ill chase this up with FTDI... once their website is working again :rolleyes:

jc634

Administrator
It might also be of interest to know if how the LCD's are installed: internal or external.

All mine are external USB ports, for example.

Heffo

I can't imagine the USB ports being internal or external causing the issue. They are all connected to the same USB controller chip, just routed to different connectors on different parts of the mainboard.

dwkdiver

USB drivers

Well I'm sorry you have the same problem CCA...but at least it is repeatable now. :-(

I have used the usb drivers from CC and from MS update and the ones listed by jc. No difference to me.

I do use the internal USB connector also. It would be really awesome to discover that was the issue. I find it hard to believe but who knows.........

Looking forward to it!

Thanks again!

CF Mark

Administrator
It is very much repeatable which is a good thing... im trying different setup combinations to try track down the problem.

dwkdiver... a few questions if you dont mind.
- Is your 635 internal or external of the case?
- If internal, are you using one of the motherboard USB header cables?
- Are you using a SCAB?

CF Mark

Administrator
Ok.
Well my small amount of testing has shown that its an electrical noise issue thats effecting the USB communications.
Im not sure as yet if its RF noise, or power noise.

Either way, try re-routing your USB cable through the case as far away from the MB and other components as possible. Maybe also try a different USB header on the motherboard.
Also try using a different FDD power lead on the SCAB that has no other devices attached to it.

See if that helps...

Clegg

I am seeing the same issues with my 631. I have tried multiple driver versions and nothing corrects it. I had this issue before when I replaced motherboards (upgrade) and after reloading all the software I was seeing LCD lockups. I replaced the internal header wire with an external wire and ran it out the back of the PC, that fixed the issue in that case.

Now I replaced the motherboard and upgraded again (to a AMD 64 X2 based rig on a Nvidia 630 chipset motherboard) and now no matter which cable I use - the internal or external cable or any port - I get lock ups. this happened when I used the latest drivers from the CF site, the latest CC2 software, or the FTDI drivers from MS, or the modified vista/XP drivers from this site. Nothing fixes it.

Even with just 2 static text displays alternating every 10 seconds or so it caused it to lock up.

Everything is set like normal in CC2. I do have a SCAB strapped on using the longer cable to remote locate it on the other side of the case, its only running one temp sensor and 2 fans.