631 stops and shuts off

CF Mark

Administrator
Your "cc2_service.ini" file is missing.
CC2 will not run at all without this file.

Looks like you need to start with clean settings...
Stop CrystalControl2 if running, and close the Startbar tray icon.
Delete all the INI and LOG files in the CC2 directory.

Then re-run the CC2 config app.
Again, setup your 631 LCD with a single date-time screen.

See how that goes.

T1125P

:confused: ok it shut off again, this is weird, not sure whats causing this. LCD smartie works fine but CC2 keeps shutting off after a while.

jc634

Administrator
I just d/l'd your log files. Just like CCadmin stated, you were missing your cc2_service.ini file.

I assume that you deleted the ini & log files as CCadmin suggested? And started from scratch again?

If so, have you added a screen? If so, check the CC2 directory and see if a cc2_service.ini file is there. Also, I assume you have a cc2_service.log file. Open it. What does it say?

If you are creating screens, CC2 generates a cc2_service.ini file. If you add a screen and the cc2_service.ini file is not created (or is getting deleted somehow), CC2 will not work as CCadmin stated.

I am slightly confused at the moment as to why the cc2_service.ini file is missing or being deleted...

Jim

T1125P

Hi yes I tried what CC Admin said still the same. Here are the 2 log files, also the screens don't change anymore I have to change them manually with the buttons. Want me to attach all the log files again?

thanks

Attachments

jc634

Administrator
To have screens alternate, check the box in the Module Setup Tab; Screen Options; Alternate Enabled.

When you say: "still the same.", do you mean CC2 still stops working? The log file has several lines that state: "execute_cc2: signaled to die".

I am not sure why this happens; CCadmin needs to look thru your log to see if he can detect the problem.

:confused:

Jim

T1125P

Hi, yes the CC2 still stops working. Want me to zip up all the log files again? This is just weird, the USB drivers are fine, its just CC2 that stops working, if I use LCD smartie its fine. I will test some other 3rd party programs to see if they stop also.

thanks again.

jc634

Administrator
I'm sorry. This is beyond my abilities to debug further. CCadmin would be the man to get further info from. I think it has something to do with the "execute_cc2: signaled to die" entries. In order to debug further, you would have to change some of the logpref.ini levels to debug modes.

CCadmin would be more knowledgable in regards to what modes to change, what specifically to look for, etc. I have a feeling that it is some software conflict, but that is just a *gut* feeling.

Jim

T1125P

Hi heres my log files one more time. I think I'm going to use LCD smartie until I buy Vista and do a clean install, then try crystalcontrol again.

Attachments

dwkdiver

635 stops and shuts off also

I have a 635 that now stops running usually within minutes of starting. This all started with the latest version and then got MUCH worse with the updated drivers. I used to run for DAYS on the old version. Don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE the new version, but I would like it to work for more than a few minutes.

I noticed that there are a LOT of discussions about this issue across the board. Any ideas in the makings?

Thanks

jc634

Administrator
I have a 635 that now stops running usually within minutes of starting. This all started with the latest version and then got MUCH worse with the updated drivers. I used to run for DAYS on the old version. Don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE the new version, but I would like it to work for more than a few minutes.

I noticed that there are a LOT of discussions about this issue across the board. Any ideas in the makings?

Thanks
I have been having a issue similar to this lately. I solved my problem (I hope). So, just to see if the problem lies in the same area:

1. What version of Windows?

2. Can you give me a list of screens you are using?

This may lead to more questions, but this may give me a clue for your problem. No guarantees, tho!!!;)

Jim

CF Mark

Administrator
So... "Dim on Idle" is turned off.
There are no errors in the logs.
And the update counter (hover your mouse over the tray icon) continues to count up.

All of the above indicates that CC2 is working and sending data to the LCD as it should be.
There is nothing else in CC2 that commands an LCD to completley turn off.

To me, this still seems like a LCD driver fault.
CC2 pushes the LCDs harder (sends more data) than other LCD software, so this is why other LCD software may not have the problem.

There will be a new version of CC2 out soon (i wont give a date yet), that adds Vista compatibility.
Ill also add some more debugging/tracing info into this version to help solve the problem.

dwkdiver

OK here's what I know

I use WinXP home, SP-2 with all the latest updates.

I use only ONE screen - uptime, that lets me know how long the software ran.

Now, on to more stuff. The tray counter continues counting. I get 'windows has encountered serious error messages' on the startup screen when I reboot ( only when CC2 has stopped running and I reboot ). I have tried about 2 dozen different screens and even did some myself and still CC2 stops driving the LCD, it just freezes.

I have noticed that the cc2_config.exe and cc2_services.exe files get larger and larger at times, sometimes HUGH...but then sometimes they do not. This all got really bad at the windows USB driver update.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled cc2 about 5 times now, eliminating ALL software from the PC and trying to remove all refs from registry too. It always comes back the same, even if I load USB drivers from CF website.

I have been using LCDSmartie for about 2 weeks and it has never stopped running, I just can't get the RSS feeds to work for some reason. I really miss my scab board ability to control my water cooled computer fans and pumps, the main reason I got the scab in the first place.

I see CC2 admin is working on a new release...hopefully the problem can be figured out. I like CC2 very much and hope it can be fixed.

Has anyone got the older versions and USB drivers handy?

jc634

Administrator
Hopefully, CCadmin should have an update shortly. The mem leaks have been eliminated, or greatly reduced. Compatibility with Vista has improved greatly. Soon.

If the tray counter keeps working, it is not a CC2 problem. Which specific USB drivers have you tried? One of things I have noticed about the FTDI drivers is that they are not very good at uninstalling/reinstalling. Whether certain parts remain from previous installs, I'm not sure. The "official" from Windows Update had a fatal flaw of some kind. I have found that after 3-4 times, I cannot unintall/reinstall again, which leads me to believe that there are driver removal problems. Unfoturnately, the FTDI USB drivers are very generic. One must simply adjust the inf files to find the devices you are installing.

Sorry that I cannot be of more help than that. I would like to know which drivers you have tried.

dwkdiver

635 freezes (not really turning off)

I may have misled you...the screen freezes - not turning off!

I noticed this behavior started some time back. It seems to me that it was happening much more frequently and now it only takes minutes. This is after uninstalling and reinstalling several times. Nothing seems to help. I just changed the MB, CPU, & Memory from AMD to INTEL C2D on rebuild and it changed nothing. However, I did use the same disk drives with windows already installed, but I did reinstall CC2.

I hope this helps with the debugging. I sometimes write software on the side and I know how completely frustrating it is to find a bug, but once it is found it is usually easier to fix it than it was to find it.

Best of luck and keep up the good work guys!!

dwkdiver

USB Drivers

Well, as far as drivers go...

I have gone so far as to find EVERY location of the drivers (which was only one location-the install directory) and deleted them. I download the FTDI drivers referenced in the forum and then I tried the drivers from CC website. THEY LOOK THE SAME...noticed? This was of course after updating from the Windows driver area.

I wish I could provide more assistance...I feel I'm hindering more than helping.....ARGH! I'll see if I can send some NEW log files from a hang up.

Thanks guys....

PS jc634 you have some cool stuff out there for screens!

jc634

Administrator
1st, I think that the FTDI drivers make several entries to registry. Almost impossible to track them all down. Suggestion: go into Device Manager and change the COM port. Anything except COM 1. Might help, might not. Always worth a shot, tho.

You did raise a RED flag, tho.:eek: If I understand correctly, you effectively put your HD from one machine into another. A simple result of changing out the MB, CPU, and mem. I know it is possible but not recommended. Why do it that way?

Whatever problems you were having previously with CC2 with the old components are probably still there with the new components, since you have the same Windows install. So my final recommendation is save your data, and completely reinstall Windows from scratch. Sounds drastic, but I have done just that more times than I can remember. I ususally reinstalled XP at least once a year just to clean the crap out of the install. Some people swear by XP, and wouldn't think of upgrading to Vista. But I've been quite happy with Vista to date. More stable, more secure. CCadmin hates it!:D But he will get over it...;)

Once you have done this, I have a real good feeling that the problem will disappear. You might want to wait a bit, tho. The next version should be out shortly. Just do not ask me define shortly!:p

CF Mark

Administrator
I just changed the MB, CPU, & Memory from AMD to INTEL C2D on rebuild and it changed nothing. However, I did use the same disk drives with windows already installed...
Oh, yeah, thats a bad idea.
Any change of CPU type or motherboard = reinstall Windows.
Not doing so will always give problems.

CF Mark

Administrator
But I've been quite happy with Vista to date. More stable, more secure. CCadmin hates it!:D But he will get over it...;)
Never!
Yes, Vista adds security, but nothing else.
Its slower, a resource hog, and XP (and Win2K) is just as stable as Vista.

Security under XP isnt something us more experienced users need to worry about :p