631 fails after standby

PaulD

When my computer returns from standby my 631 won't run correctly. I get the boot screen showing but not my other screens. Also CrystalControl won't continue running after returning from standby, it comes up with a dialog box saying that it can't connect to COM3 and won't load.

Also, why was the 631 ever put on the market without proper software support? There's not much point raving about having programmable buttons if you can't use them.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

perplexed

Not sure why yours doesn't come back after standby. I'm not seeing that issue. No doubt someone here will be able to assist with troubleshooting though, so hang in there.

What OS are you running, and what sort of standby are you configured for (memory, or disk based)?

On the buttons... It just takes a while for extablished software to catch up with new hardware features, especially when CC2 is the understandable priority for the developer right now... but it'll happen.

Personally, I'm more than happy to take the 631 now without button support, since it's valuable enough to me with CC1's current, excellent, functionality. Look on the bright side... you get all 20 characters to play with when no button icons are displayed on the screen, and I'm sure CC will support the buttons eventually.

Also, bear in mind that Crystalfontz probably don't just market the 631 module to people like you and I, who'll only use CrystalControl to drive it... they're no doubt also looking for sales to consumer/custom PC manufacturers, and commercial PC-based system integrators... where the buyer orders in bulk and may choose to develop their own code to interface with the module... buttons and all.

CF Tech

Administrator
What OS and service pack?

For Win2K, SP4 fixes some USB oddities. I believe that there may also be a newer USB driver, but I do not have it here. You can write support@crystalfontz.com and they can get it to you on Monday.

As perplexed stated, the software does lag behind the hardware--and there are also OEM customers that develop their own applications.

PaulD

I'm running XP Home SP1 and using suspend to ram on a Shuttle SN45G with ShowShifter PVR software that suspends the PC between scheduled TV recordings.

Don't get me wrong the 631 is great and does exactly what I want most of the time, it's just a bit disapointing to have to wait while the software evolves just so that all it's advertised functions can be utilised.

CF Mark

Administrator
PaulD said:

Don't get me wrong the 631 is great and does exactly what I want most of the time, it's just a bit disapointing to have to wait while the software evolves just so that all it's advertised functions can be utilised.
This is only a problem now because development of CrystalControl1 has been stopped to allow for quicker development of CrystalControl2.
Once CC2 is out, all these software+new-hardware problems will dissapear.