4 pin pwm fans

NimbleJack

I have been scowering your website looking for the answer to this question, forgive me if the answeer is simple =)

All of the crystalfontz cfa631/633/635 and scab units appear to only support 3 pin fans. Its a nice feature to see that that is through pwm, but i am curious which cfa product supports 4 pin pwm fans? I cant seem to find any...

Or is there a way within the cc2 software to change the pwm duty cycle signal from 12 volts to 5 volts so that the cfa 631/633/635 units can support 4 pin pwm fans?

From what i have been able to find, the answer is no to 4 pin support, and no to changing the duty cycle signal to 5 volts from 2 volts. Please tell me i am wrong on atleast one if those accounts...
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
Thanks for your question.

Right now, all of our fan products only support 3-wire fans.

There is no simple way to convert our 3-wire controllers to support a 4-wire fan.

The 4-wire fans would actually be easier to control than the 3-wire fans, since they are designed to be controlled. Alas, when we designed our fan products, there were no 4-wire fans yet.

Since most modern motherboards now have a plethora of fan connector built onto them, it is not likely that we will release a fan solution that supports 4-wire fans.

NimbleJack

Okay, then is there any way to change the duty cycle signal from 12 volts to 5 volts from within the cc2 software?

The reason I ask is because there is a way to wire the fans where it would be possible to attach a 4 pin pwm fan to a cfa633 or scab. The idea I had in mind involved taking a 4 pin fan's regular plug and stripping it apart. Separate the 4 pin fans wires, install the 12 volt and gnd into a regular molex and then install the signal (duty cycle) wire and rpm monitoring wire into a regular 3 pin. With the 3 pin plug attached to the scab controller, and the molex attached to a psu normally, the pwm fan could be controlled as intended. So long as the scab controller sent a 5 volt signal...

This would solve two problems, not worrying about blowing up the scab with too many fans, and proper pwm fan function =D

CF Tech

Administrator
The direction of the PWM on the CFA-633SCAB is pulling down to ground from 12v. The direction on the PWM for a 4-wire is up to 5v (IIRC). So it would not be easy to make it work.

NimbleJack

Damnit...Well, I guess a weird frankenstein mix of crystalfontz/aquaero control is in my computer's future LOL

Thanks for your quick responses, much appreciated =)