20060216 Install Trouble Fix

redog

quick answer: make sure .net framework 2.0 is installed

symptoms:

Check event viewer->system section for these errors:
should be a series of 3 each time you try to start the service:
1) Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT could not be found...etc
2)Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.CRT...etc
3)Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\CrystalControl2\cc2_service.exe.

these events usually correspond to the message that was something like "bad configuration. try reinstalling app" (can't remember exact wording)

cause:
no vc80 library support

fix:
make sure .net framework 2.0 is installed.

this was my problem and the fix worked for me. i'm not totally sure regarding other cases.

-R
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
CrystalControl2 does not use .NET at all.
I think what you have found is a DLL that CC2 needs is installed along with .NET.

"MSVCR80.DLL" should be the only extra Windows DLL it needs besides the normal Windows DLLs that come with Windows XP/2K.

I have included "MSVCR80.DLL" with CrystalControl2, but maybe it also needs to be copied into the "windows\system32" directory.

redog

ahh my mistake.

i just googled for the error and found that's what i was missing according to the event log.

it was way too late at night for me to think straight because i had spent all night playing with my new lcd =]

cheers,
-R

softsmyth

I have the same problem... copying the msvcr80.dll to the system32 directory did not work... installing .net 2 DID work...

CF Mark

Administrator
softsmyth said:
I have the same problem... copying the msvcr80.dll to the system32 directory did not work... installing .net 2 DID work...
Ok, thanks for letting me know about this.
Looks like i have some investigating to do.

Mercury

Same problem here... same errors, and no matter where I put the DLL it simply refuses to work.

I also tried to register the DLL but that failed, too.