1x16 HD44780 problems

brianpeiris

i have a 1x16 HD44780 module connected to my parallel port. But the problem is that when i use lcd sofware like LCDCenter or LCDSmartie only the first 8 characters show. but when i change to a 2x16 setting in the software the last eight characters work but they show the text thats supposed to be on the second row of a 2x16 lcd. whats wrong? is it my wiring?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

brianpeiris

Wintest works fine for me, but i can't really use it all the time, all it does is display a message. so i tried CrystalControl. it looks like it can controll HD44780 but when i try and add a "generic HD44780" module it comes up with a thousand messages saying "privledged instruction" and then just closes down completely. what does that mean? how do i fix it?

brianpeiris

oops, i forgot to restart :p . but it still doesn't work, still only first 8 chars. tsk tsk crystalfontz :> how come this doesn't work but Wintest works perfectly ! NO FAIR!!. please someone help!

CF Tech

Administrator
samsng: Beware of that guide . . . there is no backlight current limiting resistor and no contrast adjustment.

You might give CFAH_WinTest a try.