633 Ramp up Fan RPM per script??

Martinm210

Hello, I've had a 633 I've used for datalogging purposes in monitoring fan rpm and temperature using the winsock software. It's worked great for a variety of computer water cooling testing needs.

Now I'm getting into testing fans and looking for a way to automatically ramp up a fans RPM very slowly, something like 0 to 100% over a 5 or 10 minute period. I need this so I can very consistently increase the fan's speed throughout it's operating range while logging air flow and noise levels simultaneously. In the past I did it all manually, but now getting the ability to log dBA and Velocity in my air flow test rig...so I've now found a need to also automate the voltage or in this case, the RPM very slowly and linearly over a period of time.

Is this possible somehow with the 633 or any other unit?

Thanks!
Martin
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
For testing, a ramp would be OK. There is a stall speed, so ramping down may be better than ramping up. YOu would not want the tach function on, since that impacts the PWM during the tach reading cycle at low power settings.

For extended operation you would not want to run the fan at very low PWM. We recommend no less than 40%.

We have a command line program that we use for testing. I think it has a delay function, so you could make 100 lines, each with a different RPM, and a delay between each line, and that would do what you want.

If you write support@crystalfontz.com and ask for the 633 command scripter they should be able to provide it to you.

Martinm210

For testing, a ramp would be OK. There is a stall speed, so ramping down may be better than ramping up. YOu would not want the tach function on, since that impacts the PWM during the tach reading cycle at low power settings.

For extended operation you would not want to run the fan at very low PWM. We recommend no less than 40%.

We have a command line program that we use for testing. I think it has a delay function, so you could make 100 lines, each with a different RPM, and a delay between each line, and that would do what you want.

If you write support@crystalfontz.com and ask for the 633 command scripter they should be able to provide it to you.
Great!, I'll give that a try..thanks!

Still working on my method, I maight actually go with several long steps instead of a ramp, but it sounds like it has the capabilities..:)