Convert KS0107/08 to COG driver?

envisionelec

I have a COTS product which uses the KS0107 driver on its 128 x 64 display. I am wanting to downsize the front panel and have found some COG (chip on glass) displays attractive....BUT. They are no longer using the driver ICs, moving to a new SED-1565 or similar one-chip replacement.

I'm not a programmer - and probably never will be, but I'm handy with the hardware. Is there a fairly cost-effective way to convert this data from KS0107 to that used by another driver IC? An investment of under $1000 for this conversion design would be appreciated. After all, I'm just a dude working out of my garage. ;) Quotes welcome. :)

Also, does anyone have experience ordering a "special" display - one that needs a polarizer or backlighting option? Are the MOQ high?

Regards,
Aaron Hammett
Envision Electronics
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

envisionelec

What do you mean "convert this data"??

If you are not a programmer, what do you use to control the displays?
I don't use anything - the display is already working in a commercial product.

Honestly, I don't understand the confusion. I have a device that currently uses a Samsung-controlled LCD display, and I want to use a display that uses a different driver.

The question is: Can an interface be built to make this conversion?

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
To make the conversion with external hardware would probably be a project of greater magnitude than the current device. It would take an FPGA that "understands" KS0107 control signal talk and can then "speak" to the SED-1565 hardware.

Somewhere in your existing project, someone has already written some embedded code that talks to the KS0107. The only practical way to put a SED-1565 display into your project would be to find that code, and modify it to talk to the SED-1565.

envisionelec

To make the conversion with external hardware would probably be a project of greater magnitude than the current device. It would take an FPGA that "understands" KS0107 control signal talk and can then "speak" to the SED-1565 hardware.

Somewhere in your existing project, someone has already written some embedded code that talks to the KS0107. The only practical way to put a SED-1565 display into your project would be to find that code, and modify it to talk to the SED-1565.
Yes, I have a keen understanding of how the functionality of embedded code works - if I could change it. However, I cannot change a masked ROM to suit the whims of an aftermarket designer (me).

I don't need the speed of an FPGA - really, it's a few menu screens with no need to rapidly change states. Practicality isn't the issue. I need a device that will "plug and play" and not require any software changes at all. Write only - 5V.

I've got exactly one positive response in my inbox. Anyone else care to take up the challenge - or at least think about it?

envisionelec

Well, that wraps it up!

After searching dozens of websites for a small KS0107 compatible display and finding lots of 70mm high modules, but none small enough to fit my location - I was sent a page from CF detailing a much smaller module that measures only 50.2mm high.

I don't know why I missed those modules before, and I apologize for taking up your precious brain-time: I was obviously asking something outside the realm of normal functions discussed on this board - you can go back to your regularly scheduled programming. :eek:

I could do what you need, using a micro to do the translation from KS0107 to SED1565 (or KS0713 - the CFAX series), especially if the display doesn't need to be read by the original host. And it could probably be done within your $1000 budget. PM me if you want to discuss details.

As CF Tech says, it might be on par with recreating the whole device, which, depending on the other I/O and functionally of the device, might be practical. I've been doing this kind of design/programming for many years.