634 Usb

RpWhite3

I just got a couple of these and they work as expected with LCDProc, or LCD4linux, but I was wondering if I could use the serial side of things and not the USB with the USB card still there. Just hook up serial instead of USB?

Just haven't tried it, maybe I should? :)

Another Question, I guess with USB 19200 is the only rate? Can't slow it down?

I am trying to get a remote unit running using one of these. http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=7816

Or something similar? If not, then I will just get some more, these things are fun to play with ...

Thanks,

Rp
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
The serial and USB interfaces are exclusive of each other, and can normally only be changed at the factory (there is soldering involved).

However, at the level you are playing with (with the spark fun pieces, etc) you can probably get it going by removing the USB board from the module. You will need to undo the jumpers we did at the factory during the USB conversion. These are documented in the manual.

The baud can be changed by the switches on the module. That setting must match the setting of the host USB software.

RpWhite3

The serial and USB interfaces are exclusive of each other, and can normally only be changed at the factory (there is soldering involved).

However, at the level you are playing with (with the spark fun pieces, etc) you can probably get it going by removing the USB board from the module. You will need to undo the jumpers we did at the factory during the USB conversion. These are documented in the manual.

The baud can be changed by the switches on the module. That setting must match the setting of the host USB software.
Ok just so I understand, I can remove the daughterboard, and that will allow me to use Serial, then the switch's will allow me to change the baud rate for the serial port. Or can I change the baud rate for the USB? As I want to use the serial at 24 or 4800 baud.. As that is what those RF devices will do..?

Thanks,

Rp

CF Tech

Administrator
The switches on the module will change the baud rate for the display.

The baud rate for the USB is actually set by the driver on the host and must match the switches on the module.

You can set the module to 4800, which I saw mentioned on the RF unit's page. I think the RF unit can talk to the module directly. Basically you will patch it in where the USB board was (that connector is documented in the manual).

RpWhite3

The switches on the module will change the baud rate for the display.

The baud rate for the USB is actually set by the driver on the host and must match the switches on the module.

You can set the module to 4800, which I saw mentioned on the RF unit's page. I think the RF unit can talk to the module directly. Basically you will patch it in where the USB board was (that connector is documented in the manual).
Ok think I got it, don't use the DB9, use the 8 Pins that will become available when I remove the USB mod. And set switch's correctly for 4800 baud.

Ok will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

RpWhite3

Finally got around to this.

Ok think I got it, don't use the DB9, use the 8 Pins that will become available when I remove the USB mod. And set switch's correctly for 4800 baud.

Ok will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!
This is what I have so far, took the 632 and removed the USB board. Have a 9pin wired for what I think will work, and power applied to where the USB board was. I know you talked about the jumpers that were soldered from the factory? So i have to remove both? JPB and JPE?

Also I am guessing I only need transmit and ground off the PC?

Then it will work? Or get me closer?

UPDATE

I have PIN 3 from PC going to Data_IN, Pin 5 Ground, to Ground. Have removed JPE, and JPB. Set baud rate with switch's and set to the same in the config file and Wala it works. Now to add the wireless parts.

Sorry I was excited about having some time, and didn't re-read your email. Once I did that it works as you said it would.

Thanks for the help, will post later with the results from the wireless tests :)

Rp

Last edited: